Humourous Autobiography Translation
Thread poster: sevie
sevie
sevie

Spanish to English
Oct 20, 2023

I am a post-graduate university student from the UK who is studying a Masters in Translation (Spanish to English).

I am doing an extended translation project on a humorous autobiography which involves the translation of a text from Spanish to English; part of this project involves me commenting on the challenges that I encountered and the translation solutions that I adopted.

I am exploring the 'tensions' between effectively translating the "funniness" o
... See more
I am a post-graduate university student from the UK who is studying a Masters in Translation (Spanish to English).

I am doing an extended translation project on a humorous autobiography which involves the translation of a text from Spanish to English; part of this project involves me commenting on the challenges that I encountered and the translation solutions that I adopted.

I am exploring the 'tensions' between effectively translating the "funniness" of the source-text into the target-text while remaining faithful to the referential nature of autobiography.

There is very limited previous research into translation of autobiography per se, and there does not appear to be any information available in relation to humorous autobiography. Certainly I cannot locate any practical information for translators in this field, hence the research project I have decided upon.

I envisage that there will likely be many "ethical" issues faced by translators in the translation of humorous autobiography, possibly even legal ones too. Unfortunately, I am ignorant of these issues and I am therefore trying to speak to someone in the publishing arena who might be able to help with some of the questions I have.

For example:

When a publishing house buys the rights to someone's autobiography, what requirement (legal and/or ethical) is there when it comes to translation? Or, do translators have "free reign" to change the source-text as much as they choose to, even if this distorts factual information contained in the autobiography?
What is the duty to preserve referential/factual information (if at all)? Is this simply no more than a basic translation code of ethics, or are their legal requirements that are stipulated up front that translators must sign up to etc?
What get's prioritised when humorous autobiographies are translated (i.e. the humour or the facts)? Or are such decisions made on a case by case basis? If so, how are such decisions made?
Is the source-text author (or their team) ever involved in the translation process? Or is this irrelevant / not part of the equation once the source-text is being translated?
Have there ever been cases in the past where translators have done things that the author (or their team etc.) has been unhappy with, and what recourse do they have in this situation, what were the outcomes/ramifications etc.?
To answers these kinds of questions, I would very much appreciate a short conversation with someone who has knowledge in relation to the above. Alternatively, I would be extremely grateful if someone is able to point me in the right direction, as I currently have no idea where to start.

Many thanks in advance for your consideration of my email and for any help you are able to provide.

Sevie
Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Sounds like a really interesting project! Oct 21, 2023

Doing the translation will highlight some of the challenges involved.

I have two immediate questions:

1. Is there such a genre as 'humorous autobiography'? Would it be better just to focus on translating humour, with reference to your chosen book?

2. Is this a project that might happen in real life? In other words, would a publisher decide that the humour works in English and people will want to buy your translation?

In my experience, humour i
... See more
Doing the translation will highlight some of the challenges involved.

I have two immediate questions:

1. Is there such a genre as 'humorous autobiography'? Would it be better just to focus on translating humour, with reference to your chosen book?

2. Is this a project that might happen in real life? In other words, would a publisher decide that the humour works in English and people will want to buy your translation?

In my experience, humour is often too specific to one culture to be funny in others. I can think of a couple of exceptions: have you seen any of the subtitled foreign-language standup comedians on Netflix? They work because their humour is universal.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Zea_Mays
MollyRose
sevie

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Humourous Autobiography Translation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »