Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:58
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Definitely Apr 11, 2023

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

Over my long years as a translator, I’ve heard so many downfall theories about the future of translation that I’m just bored to death by all of them. I started translating professionally (part-time) in the late 1970s to complement my income. I used to write my first draft by hand, and then type it up very carefully on a manual typewriter. Those were the days when correcting the slightest mistake seemed like an almost insuperable task: re-typing all over again (before the age of the correction tape and the correcting fluid). Long are gone those days, before computers, Internet, CATs, TMs, PEMT, AI, artificial neural networks and what else. I’ve witnessed and enjoyed a lot of a change and I’m still here. The fact is that a human translator has something that a computer will never have: instinct for what it is to be human. In short, human translators will just have to become more adaptable but they will always be needed.

I applaud and agree, great statement!

Lieven Malaise
Tim-Robin Rösler-Bartsch

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Keep calm Apr 11, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:
I learned thanks to that thread that the results provided by ChatGPT in "Javascript, PHP, SQL, Python and many others were amazing."
I mean why don't you keep your opinion to yourself?

Let them. Certainly in these early stages their conclusion probably says more about their eye for quality than about the ChatGPT performance.

My point is that translation agencies often employ enough linguists to figure out on their own how good or bad AI is. They don't need the opinion of 5 people on a translator's platform for it.

As far as the real AI threat is concerned: with all this hyped news about ChatGPT and the like people seem to forget quickly that any AI can only become as good as humans if it is able to think and feel as humans do. We are not there yet and we probably won't be there in 10 years or even 20 years time either. So keep calm and continue translating.

Baran Keki
expressisverbis
Tim-Robin Rösler-Bartsch

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
A death wish? Apr 11, 2023

Against who?

□ Colleagues in general
□ Cheaper colleagues
□ Post editors
□ PMs
□ Forists

Please tick your options.

Christopher Schröder
Baran Keki

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post.
Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Translators clearly have a death wish Apr 11, 2023

Translators over here clearly have a death wish. They’re always willing to publish their rock-bottom tariffs and all their fears on this website.

Sorry for my English,
Gerard

Baran Keki
Christopher Schröder
Matthias Brombach

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post.
Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Florists Apr 12, 2023

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Against who?

□ Colleagues in general
□ Cheaper colleagues
□ Post editors
□ PMs
□ Forists

Definitely florists.

MTPE is very much like flower arranging. Whereas I want to continue to grow a garden full of beautiful flowers from seed.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Christine Andersen
Matthias Brombach
Baran Keki
expressisverbis
IrinaN
Jocelyne Cuenin

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Floorists Apr 12, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Against who?

□ Colleagues in general
□ Cheaper colleagues
□ Post editors
□ PMs
□ Forists

Definitely florists.

MTPE is very much like flower arranging. Whereas I want to continue to grow a garden full of beautiful flowers from seed.

Okay, I'll add you to the above list then

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 15:58
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Apr 12, 2023

No, no death wish as a translator. And no, I don't fit into that category, because I have other (better) plans.
Translators, like anyone else, have their own unique opinions, experience, motivations, and reasons for choosing their own tools, strategic planning, project management, working method, etc.
The only thing to do is to respect each one's choices and experiences as translators and individuals, approach certain topics with an open mind and learn with each other.
General
... See more
No, no death wish as a translator. And no, I don't fit into that category, because I have other (better) plans.
Translators, like anyone else, have their own unique opinions, experience, motivations, and reasons for choosing their own tools, strategic planning, project management, working method, etc.
The only thing to do is to respect each one's choices and experiences as translators and individuals, approach certain topics with an open mind and learn with each other.
Generally speaking, humans perform activities as per their own intelligence, machines only have an artificial intelligence and they will stay that way. They only exist to make our life easier and not to replace us.
Collapse

Baran Keki
Rachel Waddington
Angie Garbarino
Matthias Brombach
Philip Lees
Yaotl Altan

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Human nature Apr 12, 2023

expressisverbis wrote:
They only exist to make our life easier and not to replace us.

But they will inevitably be used to replace people.

My other half was forced to attend a 90-minute seminar yesterday extolling the virtues of ChatGPT and how it can replace real people at UK government call centres. Not good news for one of the last remaining big sources of employment for the unskilled in impoverished areas.

But otherwise I agree. Unlike me, you are always the most lovable and positive voice of reason, Exy.

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
We don't want machines become more intelligent than us Apr 13, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:

But they will inevitably be used to replace people.

My other half was forced to attend a 90-minute seminar yesterday extolling the virtues of ChatGPT and how it can replace real people at UK government call centres. Not good news for one of the last remaining big sources of employment for the unskilled in impoverished areas.

But otherwise I agree. Unlike me, you are always the most lovable and positive voice of reason, Exy.

Machines can replace human labour, but not humans. People are still immensely valuable in the workplace and cannot be fully replaced.
They can't evolve without a deeper understanding of the human mind.
And, although humans have a hand in the development of all this new technology, I don't see them wanting a machine to be more intelligent than they are.
Maybe I am too optimistic...
We live in somewhat troubled times and one thing we can do is to be more positive and look at the future with different eyes.
It's no use complaining about everything and everyone, it's no good making predictions about the future or putting the cart before the horse.
By this I'm not saying that we shouldn't worry about what the future holds, but worrying too much when we hold all the cards it doesn't get us anywhere.
Thank you for your words, Chris! I think there are many members here who are much better in that sense!
And what is good about all this is to see that there are a great number of members who always keep a logical mind and remind others about the best judgments to make, including you, even if you don't see it that way.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Never understood Apr 13, 2023

I've never understood why we, the human race, have devoted most of our efforts and resources to trying to make an exact replica of ourselves. Why do we want to reproduce exactly everything we already are and everything we already do? Is it just massive narcissism?

[Edited at 2023-04-13 13:36 GMT]

expressisverbis
Angie Garbarino
QHE
Jan Truper

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Art and science Apr 13, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

I've never understood why we, the human race, have devoted most of our efforts and resources to trying to make an exact replica of ourselves. Why do we want to reproduce exactly everything we already are and everything we already do? Is it just massive narcissism?

[Edited at 2023-04-13 13:36 GMT]

You may call such devotion art and science. Both abilities are very human, and surely also narcissistic. Thoughts of a failed fisherman...

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
This is what people are so scared of Apr 13, 2023

I've been trying to see if ChatGPT can help with technical abbreviations.

Me: In the sentence "protection circuit breaker LCL filter tripped" for a container crane application, what does "LCL" stand for, and what would it be in Danish?

Chat: In the context of a container crane application, "LCL" likely stands for "Line Commutated Converter".

Me: You said "LCL" likely stands for "Line Commutated Converter", but the initials don't match.

C
... See more
I've been trying to see if ChatGPT can help with technical abbreviations.

Me: In the sentence "protection circuit breaker LCL filter tripped" for a container crane application, what does "LCL" stand for, and what would it be in Danish?

Chat: In the context of a container crane application, "LCL" likely stands for "Line Commutated Converter".

Me: You said "LCL" likely stands for "Line Commutated Converter", but the initials don't match.

Chat: I apologize for the confusion. I made a mistake in my previous answer.
In the context of a container crane application, "LCL" likely stands for "Inductor-Capacitor-Inductor" filter.

Me: The initials still don't match.

Chat: I apologize for the confusion again. I made a mistake in my previous answer.
In the context of a container crane application, "LCL" likely stands for "inductor-capacitor-inductor" filter.

Me: How could the term "inductor-capacitor-inductor" result in "LCL" when the initials don't match? This makes no sense.

Chat: You are correct that "LCL" does not directly match the words "inductor-capacitor-inductor."
In the case of "inductor-capacitor-inductor" filter, the abbreviation "LCL" is created by taking the first letter of each word, and the resulting letters are used as an abbreviation for the term.
I apologize for any confusion I may have caused earlier.

Me: Your statement is obviously false. The first letters of the term "inductor-capacitor-inductor" are "ICI". This does not match "LCL".

Chat: You are correct, and I apologize for my previous mistakes. It seems that I was mistaken in my understanding of the abbreviation "LCL" in the context of a container crane application. I'm sorry for any confusion that my earlier responses might have caused.
To answer your original question, in the sentence "protection circuit breaker LCL filter tripped" for a container crane application, "LCL" could stand for "Low Capacitance Line filter" or "Line Choke Low-pass filter".

And this is supposed to be a sort of 'intelligence' that will make us all unemployed in the next decade or so.
It's like talking to a politician. It can't even get elementary logic right.
Collapse

Tom in London

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 17:58
English to Russian
+ ...
It's a tricky question, that's why Apr 13, 2023

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Chat: I apologize for the confusion. I made a mistake in my previous answer.
In the context of a container crane application, "LCL" likely stands for "Inductor-Capacitor-Inductor" filter.

Me: The initials still don't match.

Chat: I apologize for the confusion again. I made a mistake in my previous answer.
In the context of a container crane application, "LCL" likely stands for "inductor-capacitor-inductor" filter

After all, ol' Chat was correct the last time: LCL is a compensation topology that you can schematically describe as "inductance-capacitance-inductance"; it's just that the poor fella couldn't know that "L" is the letter that designates a coil in a circuit, and you kept making it more and more confused. However, I don't understand the whole sentence: the word order tells me that it's the circuit breaker that has a filter which tripped, but I'd say tripping is a circuit breaker's business. Anyway, the only kind of decision such a language model can be trusted with is which word to put after the previous one so the result would sound good to a human. Why do people expect anything else from it?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do translators have a death wish?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »