Should driving license categories be explained in brackets?
Thread poster: Lisa Reutenauer
Lisa Reutenauer
Lisa Reutenauer  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:49
English to French
+ ...
Apr 6, 2023

Hello!
I am translating a modern French license into English which, unlike the older version (which has a written explanation decribing the meaning for each licence category) only has the category letters (A1, A2, B, C etc.) and an illustration of the vehicules corresponding to each letter.
Considering driving licence codes are not the same in every country, should I explain in brackets what the category letters correspond to? If so should I only do so for the categories that apply t
... See more
Hello!
I am translating a modern French license into English which, unlike the older version (which has a written explanation decribing the meaning for each licence category) only has the category letters (A1, A2, B, C etc.) and an illustration of the vehicules corresponding to each letter.
Considering driving licence codes are not the same in every country, should I explain in brackets what the category letters correspond to? If so should I only do so for the categories that apply to the DL holder?
Or should I just use the ilustrations, copy them with no additional written explanation?

Edit: I am aware that most European Union countries have harmonized their codes, but this translation will not be used just in Europe.
My main question at this point is: should I put the categories vehicle pictures in there too?

[Edited at 2023-04-07 07:40 GMT]
Collapse

Kaspars Melkis
Kaspars Melkis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:49
English to Latvian
+ ...
no Apr 6, 2023

UK had harmonized the license categories with the EU and the codes (A1, A2, A, B etc.) will be understood and are the same.

Lisa Reutenauer
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
expressisverbis

Lisa Reutenauer
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
what about the pictures? Apr 6, 2023

Should I put the vehicle pictures in the translation as well?
They are visual forms of description which seem important.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:49
German to English
Images Apr 7, 2023

Lisa Reutenauer wrote:

Should I put the vehicle pictures in the translation as well?
They are visual forms of description which seem important.

I'd treat them the same as illegible seals, with a description in brackets: [image of motorcycle], etc. This might be useful especially if the translation is to be used outside the EU.

expressisverbis
Lisa Reutenauer
finnword1

Lisa Reutenauer
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
translation not same as international permit Apr 7, 2023

@Kevin Fulton,

A part of me thinks, well, the pictures are quite self-explanatory, so all I need to do is put the images in, but I also was under the impression that all images should be described and not copied when translating official documents. Otherwise it almost looks like a forgery of some sort.
Indeed this is a certified translation legally acting as an alternative to an international DL, BUT it is NOT an official international permit nor do I have the authorit
... See more
@Kevin Fulton,

A part of me thinks, well, the pictures are quite self-explanatory, so all I need to do is put the images in, but I also was under the impression that all images should be described and not copied when translating official documents. Otherwise it almost looks like a forgery of some sort.
Indeed this is a certified translation legally acting as an alternative to an international DL, BUT it is NOT an official international permit nor do I have the authority to make one. I am just translating with basic translation VU NE VARIETUR guidelines and protocols.
Am I thinking way too hard about this??
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:49
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Lisa Apr 7, 2023

I was a sworn translator in Belgium (there are no sworn translators in Portugal where I live now) and in case of illustrations I would indicate them in square brackets (as for stamps and signatures), but copying was out of the question (forgery).

expressisverbis
Lisa Reutenauer
finnword1

British Diana
British Diana
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Ask the client? Apr 7, 2023

When in doubt, ask the client...
What do they need the translation for? If it is part of an application for a job, they might be better off applying for an international driving licence instead.

Joseph Tein

Joseph Tein
Joseph Tein  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:49
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ask the client what they need Apr 7, 2023

British Diana's reply makes the most sense to me. None of us here know what your client needs or what's important to them. Ask the client how they want it.

Lisa Reutenauer
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Traveling Apr 7, 2023

@diana @joseph
They need it to travel Namibia. I have had several French people asking me for a translation of their dl to travel to Namibia and other english speaking countries outside of Europe because the delays for an intl DL are outrageous and people can't wait that long. The certified translation is the acceptable alternative. Verified.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should driving license categories be explained in brackets?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »