Study into translation of metaphors: looking for volunteers to evaluate translations
Thread poster: Sarah Daniel
Sarah Daniel
Sarah Daniel
United Kingdom
Sep 12, 2022

My name is Sarah Daniel and I am a PhD student at Université Grenoble Alpes and Swansea University. My research is into translation of conceptual metaphors between French and English. As part of this I am looking for volunteer native English speakers with a high level of French to rate translations I have collected.

The text is 400 words long and contains 25 expressions based on conceptual metaphors. I only need ratings for the target expressions, but I will provide the full texts
... See more
My name is Sarah Daniel and I am a PhD student at Université Grenoble Alpes and Swansea University. My research is into translation of conceptual metaphors between French and English. As part of this I am looking for volunteer native English speakers with a high level of French to rate translations I have collected.

The text is 400 words long and contains 25 expressions based on conceptual metaphors. I only need ratings for the target expressions, but I will provide the full texts so that raters can see the translations in context. I’ve included the target text and an example translation below; the conceptual metaphors are bolded.

I'll be holding an online training session on the rating system for the translations so that raters are on the same page. I'll be able to provide certificates of participation for this, as well as participation in the study, which can be used as evidence of CPD. If there is interest I'll also be happy to meet with raters to present the aims and findings of the study - I won't be able to explain these in detail before hand to avoid biasing the responses.

If you are interested, or have any questions, please contact me at [email protected]

Texte Source

L’immigration divise les principaux candidats à l’élection présidentielle en deux camps : ceux qui font de son rejet leur fonds de commerce et ceux que le sujet embarrasse. Très prolixes, les premiers attribuent aux étrangers toutes sortes de problèmes. Pour y remédier, ils préconisent des mesures radicales. Mme Marine Le Pen (Front national, FN) s’engage à supprimer le droit du sol, à sortir de l’espace Schengen, à instaurer la préférence nationale et à systématiser les expulsions d’étrangers en situation irrégulière. M. François Fillon (Les Républicains) promet pour sa part de durcir les règles du regroupement familial, de conditionner les aides sociales à deux ans de présence sur le territoire, de supprimer l’aide médicale de l’État ou encore de faire voter par le Parlement des quotas annuels d’immigrés par origines nationales.

Traduction

The main candidates for the presidential election are either on one side of the fence or the other when it comes to immigration: it’s either their stock in trade or a subject they avoid. With lots to say, the first lot blame foreigners for all kinds of problems. They suggest drastic measures to solve these issues. Marine Le Pen (President of the far-right National Front) promises to abolish Jus Soli, the “right of soil”, to no longer be part of the Schengen area, to restore national preference and to systematize the deportation of illegal immigrants. François Fillon (the Republicans) promised that he would tighten the rules on family reunification, to give benefits to those living here over two years, to abolish State Medical Assistance (scheme covering medical expenses of illegal immigrants) and even to bring a vote to Parliament on fulfilling annual quotas on immigrants by nationality.
Collapse

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:39
Japanese to English
+ ...
Evaluation of translations Sep 14, 2022

Since this seems to be a time-consuming major production involving training and the like, this should really be placed in the proz.com jobs thread where entities are looking for people to offer their services for free.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Jo Macdonald
Jennifer Levey
expressisverbis
writeaway
neilmac

Sarah Daniel
Sarah Daniel
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Re:evaluation of translations Sep 14, 2022

Hi Micheal,

Thank you for your response. I’m not sure I agree with you as, based on feedback from volunteers, the research aspect is one of the main reasons people are interested in participating. Both because they are interested in the theory around translating metaphor and because they feel positively about contributing to research in translation.

Having looked at postings on both boards, and based on the description, “Translation Theory and Practice” seems to b
... See more
Hi Micheal,

Thank you for your response. I’m not sure I agree with you as, based on feedback from volunteers, the research aspect is one of the main reasons people are interested in participating. Both because they are interested in the theory around translating metaphor and because they feel positively about contributing to research in translation.

Having looked at postings on both boards, and based on the description, “Translation Theory and Practice” seems to be the most appropriate location for a call for research participants.

I understand your concern about the training, perhaps “workshop” might have been a better term. It’s important for my research to have consistency in the ratings, which is hard to do without an opportunity for discussion. The training meeting will introduce the rating system, and then as a group we will discuss some examples. Depending on the level of agreement between raters at the beginning it could be very short, but would not take more than half an hour in any case.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:39
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Sarah Sep 17, 2022

I don’t know if it is possible to post a thread on several locations, but as you are looking for “English speakers with a high level of French” I’d post also on the French forum. Furthermore, I’d suggest replacing “speakers” with “translators”. Good luck with your research!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Study into translation of metaphors: looking for volunteers to evaluate translations

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »