How to improve translation skill!
Thread poster: suchitrac9
Flávia Werneck
Flávia Werneck
Brazil
English to Portuguese
I couldn't agree more! Oct 26, 2018

Daryo wrote:
Back to more professional methods - it makes a difference / helps a lot to read first the whole text, and to understand the basics and the logic / the ways of thinking in the given field. Knowing how and where to find the missing explanations and best suited translations makes also a difference.

I couldn't agree more! Translators use to work with different types of subjects, some are more familiar than others. In my opinion, the first thing you must do is read the text from top to bottom, then you will realize if you know the subject or if you need to do a big research; and with that discrimination you are able to translate with the best expressions and appropriate terms. Later, you can actually begin to translate and do a good job. If you don't read and research, you can produce a poor translation.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to improve translation skill!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »