Thread poster: finnword1
Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:24
German to English
Re: Schiller Mar 30, 2018

Susan Welsh wrote:

Alle Menschen und Frauen werden Brüder und Schwestern?

Hm, I never thought about that, that's interesting.

Schiller actually wrote "Alle Menschen werden Brüder". Translated literally from modern German, that means "All people become brothers" (Mann = man, Frau = woman, Mensch = people [or human, as in "human rights"]).
Your example suggests that using "Mensch" to refer to all people might be related to using "mankind" to refer to all people. I don't know if that is the case or not. If someone complains, I'll listen to what they have to say and then try to use logic, common sense and good manners to decide what I should do in the future ...

Schiller is clearly using "people" ("Menschen") to refer exclusively to men here. Not only do they become"brothers", but some of those bros pick up some hot chicks ("holde Weib[er]") later in the poem.

I really don't see any problem using an ambiguously exclusive/inclusive "man" for a translation in this context. I suppose a purist might see it as PC waffling, because the original actually excludes women from being people instead of excluding them from being men, but a little poetic license seems permissible.

P.S. to Jean: I'm pretty sure we actually agree, I just don't write very well. (If you place a slip of paper over the "illiterate PC fanatic" paragraph, what I was actually trying to say might become clearer.)

P.P.S. to Thomas: I'm not ignoring you, but I don't know how to respond without getting my post deleted.

P.P.P.S. to everyone else: Sorry for monopolizing your time. I promise not to post anything else here.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Thoughts Mar 30, 2018

On topic:

There seems to be a UK/US divide on the use of mankind which is causing a lot of talking at cross-purposes here. As a Brit, I've never thought twice about using mankind to mean everyone (I cannot imagine ever using it to mean only men). So the potential level of offence and need to avoid this particular word would seem to be continent-specific.

Off topic:

I'm surprised to see so much talk about "equality" rather than "equal rights and opportunitie
... See more
On topic:

There seems to be a UK/US divide on the use of mankind which is causing a lot of talking at cross-purposes here. As a Brit, I've never thought twice about using mankind to mean everyone (I cannot imagine ever using it to mean only men). So the potential level of offence and need to avoid this particular word would seem to be continent-specific.

Off topic:

I'm surprised to see so much talk about "equality" rather than "equal rights and opportunities". Women and men aren't equal, they're different. Which is why women have had to fight for equal rights and opportunities.

"Man up":

This recent invention certainly perpetuates a sexist stereotype but... it just so works. Only last week, I thought briefly about using "toughen up" instead in one of the cabinet office's press releases but it just read so much better as "the prime minister manned up and sacked all the bitches in the house". It's all about feel.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:24
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Oh Man Mar 30, 2018

Oh Man, this is ridiculous.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:24
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Great stuff Mar 30, 2018

Susan Welsh wrote:

Alle Menschen und Frauen werden Brüder und Schwestern?

Great stuff, Susan. Beethoven would have to compose a new tune, though.

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:24
Russian to English
+ ...
BE/AE Mar 30, 2018

Chris S wrote:

Just to set things straight: What UK/US divide? I don't see that at all here. Many (most?) of the posters are neither Brits nor Yanks. To revise what you wrote: "As a Yank, I've never thought twice about using mankind to mean everyone (I cannot imagine ever using it to mean only men)." In case you're confused, what I wrote about Schiller/Beethoven was intended as irony (as Jenny points out, it would indeed to be hard to sing the Ode to Joy with these words).

The Misha
The Misha
Local time: 11:24
Russian to English
+ ...
What US/UK divide +1 Mar 30, 2018

There is no divide, of course. It's just that there are normal, adequate folks on both sides of the political spectrum here who have better things to do with themselves than split hairs over words (and those constitute the majority) and a few of those... well, who are not. That quite a few of them are in academia and/or tend to live on the coasts is purely coincidental:) To their (dis)credit though, they somehow manage to fool the rest of you folks out there:)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"mankind" determined a gender-specific word

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »