How Microsoft uses neural networks to translate languages across the world

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "How Microsoft uses neural networks to translate languages across the world".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:14
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Welcher Weg ist der Bibliothek? Feb 24, 2016

I'm starting to think I've read more nonsense about computers and language than anything else.

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:14
Serbian to English
+ ...
This article was written by Mar 3, 2016

someone who hasn't got the first clue as to what a "neural network" might be - reminds me of the pseudo-science that is sloshing all over the marketing BS used to sell cosmetics.

Before writing marketing BS, the author missed the opportunity to check what a "neural network" is - easy to find:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_neural_network

I
... See more
someone who hasn't got the first clue as to what a "neural network" might be - reminds me of the pseudo-science that is sloshing all over the marketing BS used to sell cosmetics.

Before writing marketing BS, the author missed the opportunity to check what a "neural network" is - easy to find:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_neural_network

IOW it's not a "network of computers" it's a model representing a "network of simulated neurons", and it can very well be implemented on a single computer - (they even pretend they can get a usable version on a smartphone!)

"But it has only been in the last couple of years that the practical application of actual neural networks has been achieved by computer scientists"

Really? and what is Optical Character Recognition and Voice Recognition"?

It is sure that "neural networks" will only keep improving, including when it comes to translating, but this article is just marketing BS, nothing to help understanding how neural networks work nor how or to which extent they could be useful.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How Microsoft uses neural networks to translate languages across the world

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »