Thread poster: Paula Ribeiro
Paula Ribeiro
Paula Ribeiro  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:09
English to Portuguese
+ ...
May 28, 2012

Hello everyone,

I'm translating the explanation of a new equipment in a patent process and the author has asked me how to apply for a patent outside Portugal, where he has already obtained the patent. Maybe the process is the same within the EU, right? Can anybody help me?

Thank you in advance,
Paula Ribeiro

Suzanne Deliscar
Suzanne Deliscar  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:09
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) May 28, 2012

Dear Paula,

Please see these links to WIPO's website on patent applications in multiple countries under the Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property:

... See more
Dear Paula,

Please see these links to WIPO's website on patent applications in multiple countries under the Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property:

http://www.wipo.int/about-wipo/en/

http://www.wipo.int/treaties/en/ip/paris/summary_paris.html

Please let me know if you require further information.

Suzanne Deliscar
Collapse

Paula Ribeiro
Paula Ribeiro  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:09
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 29, 2012

Thank you very much Suzanne. Regarding the website you gave me, from the options presented in WIPO, I believe the most useful would be International Patent Protection, right? All my client wants is to have the patent recognized internationally.

Baker Zhang
Baker Zhang
China
Local time: 05:09
English to Chinese
+ ...
Check with the Portugal patent office for specific PCT procedures Jun 21, 2012

As far as I know, some applicants in China use the PCT (Patent Cooperation Treaty) procedure to apply for international patent priority.

With the PCT procedure, an applicant is allowed to apply patent rights in multiple countries by submitting required materials (specifications, claims, drawings, and the like) to a Receiving Office (which normally is the state patent office of a country).

Therefore, you may check with the Portugal patent office for specific PCT rules
... See more
As far as I know, some applicants in China use the PCT (Patent Cooperation Treaty) procedure to apply for international patent priority.

With the PCT procedure, an applicant is allowed to apply patent rights in multiple countries by submitting required materials (specifications, claims, drawings, and the like) to a Receiving Office (which normally is the state patent office of a country).

Therefore, you may check with the Portugal patent office for specific PCT rules in Portugal.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to apply to a patent

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »