Thread poster: ibz
ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:40
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Apr 17

Food for thought for all those who think that AI is the solution to all our problems ...

https://readwrite.com/ai-chatbots-think-in-english-research-finds/

Zea_Mays

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
:-) Apr 17

Thinking in English never did me any harm. Or did it...?

It's good news for those who don't work to/from English I guess.

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 19:40
English to Russian
+ ...
Not universally maybe? Apr 17

I read some translations into Russian from ChatGPT (in these here forums and elsewhere) and decided that it can't do Russian: its main selling points saying that it always comes up with naturally sounding expressions simply don't work when Russian is involved. However, we have YandexGPT and GigaChat from my bank, and they can do Russian while not ceding any ground in the English front. I haven't tested them, however, so I'm selling it for what I bought it for. I just can't seem to summon any int... See more
I read some translations into Russian from ChatGPT (in these here forums and elsewhere) and decided that it can't do Russian: its main selling points saying that it always comes up with naturally sounding expressions simply don't work when Russian is involved. However, we have YandexGPT and GigaChat from my bank, and they can do Russian while not ceding any ground in the English front. I haven't tested them, however, so I'm selling it for what I bought it for. I just can't seem to summon any interest in talking to bots (btw, GigaChat reportedly passed a university-level exam in general medicine)Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

AI chatbots ‘think’ in English

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »