Autor wątku: David Jessop
David Jessop
David Jessop  Identity Verified
Laos
Członek ProZ.com
hiszpański > angielski
+ ...
May 2

I'm a Mac fan but since the move to ARM/Apple processors I have been concerned about upgrading since I need to use Trados Studio 2021. I am still using a Macbook Pro from 2015 and would like to upgrade my Mac to the latest version of the Macbook Air released a couple months ago but am worried that Trados 2021 will not work in Windows in Parallels Desktop or another virtual machine. So my questions are, 1) will it work successfully and if so, 2) do you have any tips on configuration/Windows versi... See more
I'm a Mac fan but since the move to ARM/Apple processors I have been concerned about upgrading since I need to use Trados Studio 2021. I am still using a Macbook Pro from 2015 and would like to upgrade my Mac to the latest version of the Macbook Air released a couple months ago but am worried that Trados 2021 will not work in Windows in Parallels Desktop or another virtual machine. So my questions are, 1) will it work successfully and if so, 2) do you have any tips on configuration/Windows version, etc., in order for Trados Studio 2021 to work smoothly? Cheers.Collapse

Emanuele Vacca
Emanuele Vacca  Identity Verified
Włochy
Local time: 23:58
Członek ProZ.com
od 2020

angielski > włoski
It works on M1 May 2

Hi! I have an M1 MacBook Pro; Trados 2021 works perfectly. I use Parallels Desktop (I also tried VMware but found it way less intuitive - installing a virtual machine with Parallels Desktop takes a few minutes and anybody can do it). I have Windows 11, and everything works well. I find this setting very convenient. Something I found out later, though, is that Parallels' standard edition, for 99 euros, has a RAM limit of 8 GB, which I find a bit low; I never had any issues, apart once when I had ... See more
Hi! I have an M1 MacBook Pro; Trados 2021 works perfectly. I use Parallels Desktop (I also tried VMware but found it way less intuitive - installing a virtual machine with Parallels Desktop takes a few minutes and anybody can do it). I have Windows 11, and everything works well. I find this setting very convenient. Something I found out later, though, is that Parallels' standard edition, for 99 euros, has a RAM limit of 8 GB, which I find a bit low; I never had any issues, apart once when I had to open a 300,000-word file, and it became very slow (but still manageable). The Pro edition brings that limit to 128 GB (which means virtually no limit), but it's 128 euros/year (while the standard edition is a lifetime licence).Collapse

David Jessop

David Jessop
Laos
Członek ProZ.com
hiszpański > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Thanks, please share versions May 2

Emanuele Vacca wrote:

Hi! I have an M1 MacBook Pro; Trados 2021 works perfectly. I use Parallels Desktop (I also tried VMware but found it way less intuitive - installing a virtual machine with Parallels Desktop takes a few minutes and anybody can do it). I have Windows 11, and everything works well. I find this setting very convenient. Something I found out later, though, is that Parallels' standard edition, for 99 euros, has a RAM limit of 8 GB, which I find a bit low; I never had any issues, apart once when I had to open a 300,000-word file, and it became very slow (but still manageable). The Pro edition brings that limit to 128 GB (which means virtually no limit), but it's 128 euros/year (while the standard edition is a lifetime licence).

Thanks Emanuele, that gives me hope I can use the new Macbooks and Windows 11 - please could you tell me what version of Parallels are you using? Cheers

Emanuele Vacca
Włochy
Członek ProZ.com
od 2020

angielski > włoski
Sure: May 3

Parallels Desktop 18
Standard edition
Version 18.3.2 (53621)

David Jessop

David Jessop
Laos
Członek ProZ.com
hiszpański > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Final question May 3

Emanuele Vacca wrote:

Parallels Desktop 18
Standard edition
Version 18.3.2 (53621)

Your experience gives me confidence. Do you have any reason to believe that the newest M3 Macbook Air would have compatibility issues or do you imagine it should run fine just like your M1? I guess you wouldn't really know, just wonder if you have any thoughts. Cheers.

Emanuele Vacca

Emanuele Vacca
Włochy
Członek ProZ.com
od 2020

angielski > włoski
Personally, no May 9

David Jessop wrote:

Emanuele Vacca wrote:

Parallels Desktop 18
Standard edition
Version 18.3.2 (53621)

Your experience gives me confidence. Do you have any reason to believe that the newest M3 Macbook Air would have compatibility issues or do you imagine it should run fine just like your M1? I guess you wouldn't really know, just wonder if you have any thoughts. Cheers.

Sorry, I completely missed your last message. I don't have any reasons to believe there will be compatibility issues. I guess that if a piece of software is compatible with the new chip series, it will be compatible with all of them. I completely understand your doubt, though. My initial plan was to check whether it would work, and if not, return the new Mac immediately.

David Jessop

David Jessop
Laos
Członek ProZ.com
hiszpański > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Thanks very much May 9

Emanuele Vacca wrote:

David Jessop wrote:

Emanuele Vacca wrote:

Parallels Desktop 18
Standard edition
Version 18.3.2 (53621)

Sorry, I completely missed your last message. I don't have any reasons to believe there will be compatibility issues. I guess that if a piece of software is compatible with the new chip series, it will be compatible with all of them. I completely understand your doubt, though. My initial plan was to check whether it would work, and if not, return the new Mac immediately.

Extremely helpful and actually I was not expecting to get the response I was hoping for! Best wishes.

Emanuele Vacca

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2021 on M2 or M3 Macbook?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »