Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24] >
Illegal use of data from ProZ.com profile
Thread poster: RoxanaTrad (X)
Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:56
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
hhmm.. not exactly, Henry Jul 20, 2009

Hi Henry,

Henry D wrote:
No, that is not correct. Jane and Claudio are both reporting on information that was once public. We still do not have an instance of data which was never public having been accessed.

not a big deal in my case, as that bit isn't really sensitive (and in another order and other languages available somehow publicly, which is beyond the issue, as it wasn't taken from there), but the little I mentioned when I called for Jared's attention to this thread, was never public. *I* never made it public, don't know if it went public for a time for some unfortunate glitch (?? so I was told), as it has happened with my Skype name.

I admit that I find interesting that the lines in the middle with e-mail address & address weren't crawled, so I tend to conclude that that bit has been for some time publicly visible. Fact is that it wasn't me. I tried to see my profile in the old format (in order to double-check whether that bit is visible), but I see that now I can only set others to see it, can't see it myself without logging out (haven't done it yet). And even if it was public for a time and I were the "culprit", what a bad luck that that bit was crawled exactly in the short time it was public.... not sure what G***le Maps shows though

Giuliana

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:56
French to German
+ ...
Wayback machine? Jul 20, 2009

Could it be possible to retrieve outdated personal information by using a wayback machine?

My 2 cents.
Laurent K.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:56
English to French
+ ...
Aha! Jul 20, 2009

Thanks for the link, Irina--visiting it clarified something for me. Here's a quote from that page:
OutsourcingRoom is not our main business and we do not promote this service directly. We work with partner sites and use services of promotional companies that bring clients to our site.

Maybe Outsourcing Room had no bad intentions and didn't know that the information was fraudulent. Maybe they simply got what they paid for...

Now, I would really like them to explain to me how my information ended up on their site. I am truly curious!

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
I checked my other profiles Jul 20, 2009

I checked all my other profiles on translation-related sites, and none of them list my province of residence, except here on ProZ. And mind you, this information is not publicly available, and it was never made publicly available. Not even on my CV, when one was uploaded on my profile, nor on my website. So how can they get a hold of that information, somehow? I really wonder where they got it from...

Cetacea
Cetacea  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
Not quite true Jul 20, 2009

Henry D wrote:
There have been a number of reports that data which is not public has appeared on the site in question, but when we have gotten exact details and investigated, so far it has turned out in each case that the information was actually public somewhere. (For example in a forum posting.)

My full name and my home town were never made public by me anywhere on ProZ.com, and still they show up on OutsourcingRoom exactly as they appear--supposedly hidden--in my profile.

[Edited at 2009-07-20 06:44 GMT]

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
*Combined* Google trackers? Jul 20, 2009

Thanks a lot, Roxana,

I have some interesting information for everybody about

Website Practices

* Websites collect and analyze data about users, but only offer partial access and control to the users.

* Website policies are unclear about several important issues, such as retention and data enhancement.

* Websites claim they do not share user data with third parties, but they do share with
... See more
Thanks a lot, Roxana,

I have some interesting information for everybody about

Website Practices

* Websites collect and analyze data about users, but only offer partial access and control to the users.

* Website policies are unclear about several important issues, such as retention and data enhancement.

* Websites claim they do not share user data with third parties, but they do share with affiliates that users may have no relationship with.

* Web bug trackers are ubiquitous. Analytics and ad serving companies can track user behavior across large portions of the web.

If you want to know more:
http://knowprivacy.org/

Best regards,
A.S.

By the way, I didn't find me on elance, but I did on outsourcingroom. Needless to mention that I never registered with elance or outsourcingroom.
Collapse

AWa (X)
AWa (X)
English to German
+ ...
Has anybody already reported.. Jul 20, 2009

this incident to the interpol url someone stated in this thread?

Carina Ceschi
Carina Ceschi
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks for informing us Jul 20, 2009

I found my own and a few other peoples' names on OutSourcingRoom.com, too. I agree that Proz.com should send all its members a memo, detailing what has happened and what they inted to do about it, agree fully with the poster's and Giuliana's points about bad work being done in our name, and the privacy policy issues.

I just removed my name from my profile.

Carolina Carabecho
Carolina Carabecho  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
agree Jul 20, 2009

Cetacea wrote:

Henry D wrote:
There have been a number of reports that data which is not public has appeared on the site in question, but when we have gotten exact details and investigated, so far it has turned out in each case that the information was actually public somewhere. (For example in a forum posting.)

My full name and my home town were never made public by me anywhere on ProZ.com, and still they show up on OutsourcingRoom exactly as they appear--supposedly hidden--in my profile.

[Edited at 2009-07-20 06:44 GMT]

I have exactly the same problem. I have just learned they exist. Never visited the site before. I see I have an account created with my name, city and country. Also, my full name and home town were never made public on Proz and, what is more, I appear in outsourcingroom with the login name I ONLY use in Proz. They just added a number to my login name there.

I am really worried and angry by this situation. I have just sent an email to them demanding my removal from the site. Let's see what happens.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:56
French to English
Backup? Jul 20, 2009

ScottishWildCat wrote:

Could it be possible to retrieve outdated personal information by using a wayback machine?

Reading through this thread, my immediate thought was that someone has managed to acquire a backup tape/disk/storage medium from a couple of years ago. But who knows?
(And yes, I am on there too, with a bare minimum of info.)

Christine Schmit (X)
Christine Schmit (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to French
+ ...
My profile seems to have been removed Jul 20, 2009

I found my profile on that site too, with minimum information. I send them an e-mail yesterday demanding that they remove my profile within 24 hours or I would sue them for identity theft. I just checked and it seems that my profile has indeed been removed, I now get an empty page at the URL where my profile was yesterday.

Jocelyne S
Jocelyne S  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Fairly Recent Information + Advice Jul 20, 2009

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Reading through this thread, my immediate thought was that someone has managed to acquire a backup tape/disk/storage medium from a couple of years ago. But who knows?
(And yes, I am on there too, with a bare minimum of info.)

The information on OutSourcingRoom.com cannot be that old as I changed my Proz.com user name only a couple of months ago from "JS" to "Jocelyne S" and it is the latter which appears on OutSourcingRoom.com.

My last name also appears on OutSourcingRoom.com despite it being hidden on Proz.com. (It may be visible to registered outsourcers, but it certainly isn't to regular site visitors.)

Now, can someone from site staff please tell us what we should do about this situation? My first thought was to contact the site and demand that my profile be removed. Then I wondered about whether that might just be getting myself in a bit deeper (they would at least have my IP address - I don't know if that could actually do them any good, but I'd rather not risk anything more at this point.)

Please quickly figure out what needs to be done, where the problem came from - and tell all site users what we need to do to deal with it.

Best,
Jocelyne

Luis Arri Cibils
Luis Arri Cibils  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
Police intervention Jul 20, 2009

AWa wrote:

[Has anybody already reported] this incident to the interpol url someone stated in this thread?

At least Elance has. I found the following (googling for outsourcingroom and elance; there are several other hits):

Elance data breaches by parties unknown (but possibly Ukranian ...Elance says, "We've engaged with authorities to attempt to shut down a site named Outsourcingroom.com that publically displays some of the ...
www.betanews.com/article/Elance-data.../1247834470 - Cached - Similar

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
same for me Jul 20, 2009

Asimenia wrote:

I have exactly the same problem. I have just learned they exist. Never visited the site before. I see I have an account created with my name, city and country. Also, my full name and home town were never made public on Proz and, what is more, I appear in outsourcingroom with the login name I ONLY use in Proz. They just added a number to my login name there.

I am really worried and angry by this situation. I have just sent an email to them demanding my removal from the site. Let's see what happens.

I see too that I have an account created with my name, city and country
My full name was never made public on Proz.

I happened to sign some posts with my first name but that's all.
Plus, on my Proz profile my "city" is not in fact the real place where I live, but a big city near my place.

I do not want to take any action like sending an email as I am NOT the one responsible for the situation. Proz MUST do something about it., I hope they will.

Ulf Samuelsson
Ulf Samuelsson  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:56
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Some old data and some new data Jul 20, 2009

I found out that I, like probably all other translators on ProZ, had a profile page on OutSourcingRoom.com - actually two pages. One is old and contains an old username, but the other one is less than a year old, as it contains my new location.

What surprised me, though, is that my brother also has a profile page, and he isn't even a translator. He is an in-house editor without any freelancing activities, and he hasn't registered on any site other than Yahoo (it's his Yahoo login na
... See more
I found out that I, like probably all other translators on ProZ, had a profile page on OutSourcingRoom.com - actually two pages. One is old and contains an old username, but the other one is less than a year old, as it contains my new location.

What surprised me, though, is that my brother also has a profile page, and he isn't even a translator. He is an in-house editor without any freelancing activities, and he hasn't registered on any site other than Yahoo (it's his Yahoo login name that is displayed).

Someone has been real busy trying to add as many names as possible to make the site seem like a big place for freelancers, but the vast majority of the profiles are useless as there are no language information or contact information.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Illegal use of data from ProZ.com profile

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »