Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24] >
Illegal use of data from ProZ.com profile
Thread poster: RoxanaTrad (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:29
English to German
+ ...
My password is not publicly available! Aug 3, 2009

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo wrote:
Only in this case osr appears to have/have had access to data which was, supposedly, not publicly available.

Making data publicly available doesn't mean that anybody can do anything with it.
Data and identification theft was and is illegal. It's not a peccadillo!

The fact that the moderators of this forum are 2 staff members not communicating with their paying members is another disappointing ProZ experience.

Additionally, "moderation" in its original sense of the word belongs to the past. What a pity.

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 15:29
SITE STAFF
Thanks for your patience Aug 3, 2009

Hello all,

I am sure Henry will be providing a more detailed update as soon as possible. In the meantime I'd like to report that the issue has not been dropped, and that the steps being taken to rectify this situation, and to make sure something like this does not happen again, are ongoing and are top priority. I appreciate your patience.

Best regards,

Jared

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Thanks, Jared - but... Aug 3, 2009

Hi Jared,
Thanks for responding.

I am sure Henry will be providing a more detailed update as soon as possible.

Good.

In the meantime I'd like to report that the issue has not been dropped, and that the steps being taken to rectify this situation, and to make sure something like this does not happen again, are ongoing and are top priority.

Unfortunately, the lack of ProZ.com staff response in this topic (the last postings by Henry and Jason providing substantive information were made on 23 July - more than a week ago!) does not exactly portray the issue as being "top priority". In my opinion, active communication is key to the proper handling of a critical situation. This is missing here.

Quite honestly, I do not get the impression that the concerns voiced by paying members in this topic (and in related threads regarding data protection) are taken seriously enough.

Regards,
Ralf

Bob Kerns (X)
Bob Kerns (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Totally inadequate response from the site staff Aug 3, 2009

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Quite honestly, I do not get the impression that the concerns voiced by paying members in this topic (and in related threads regarding data protection) are taken seriously enough.

Fully agree with the comments from Ralf above.

Why are we being thanked for our patience when it is blatantly obvious that our patience is slowly but surely running out?

And reading that one member of the site staff is "sure Henry will be providing a more detailed update as soon as possible" does not do anything to assuage my dissatisfaction on this issue.

What I would have liked to hear is something on the lines of "Henry has assured me that he will ...", or even better a credible and comprehensive statement from Henry himself.

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Take the chance, choose a proactive approach! Aug 3, 2009

Aniello Scognamiglio wrote:

It takes a lot of time to find the "right" words or to admit that nothing has changed so far.

Why is it so difficult to communicate the measures and steps that are being taken without going into detail for obvious reasons?
Why does ProZ not choose a proactive approach to this important issue?

This is a "unique" experience (lesson learned?) to understand that data protection and privacy is a very serious matter in many countries.

hazmatgerman (X)
hazmatgerman (X)
English to German
Why is Aug 3, 2009

anybody still surprised at the absence of a qualified response?

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Germany
English to German
+ ...
We have two ears and one mouth Aug 3, 2009

hazmatgerman wrote:

anybody still surprised at the absence of a qualified response?

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 14:29
SITE FOUNDER
Addressing this issue is currently the site team's highest priority Aug 3, 2009

To be clear, addressing this issue is currently the site team's highest priority. Like ELance, we have dropped everything and launched a comprehensive security review. We were caught off-guard in this case but do not intend to let you all down again.

Work has continued through the weekends since the breach became apparent. A number of steps have already been taken already, as some of you have noticed. More steps are underway.

Information will continue to be provided in
... See more
To be clear, addressing this issue is currently the site team's highest priority. Like ELance, we have dropped everything and launched a comprehensive security review. We were caught off-guard in this case but do not intend to let you all down again.

Work has continued through the weekends since the breach became apparent. A number of steps have already been taken already, as some of you have noticed. More steps are underway.

Information will continue to be provided in this thread. As posted previously, notification will also go out to those affected. And every effort will be made to have the information removed from the site in question.

If anyone has specific questions that have not been answered in this thread, please submit them via the support system. In the meantime, your patience and understanding will be appreciated.
Collapse

Marjolein Verhulsdonck-Roest
Marjolein Verhulsdonck-Roest
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
It's a gift... Aug 3, 2009

... using 148 words and saying nothing new.

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 15:29
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Ongoing work Aug 3, 2009

Marjolein Verhulsdonck-Roest wrote:
It's a gift...
... using 148 words and saying nothing new.

ProZ.com staff has launched with top priority a comprehensive security review. This was reported earlier, and staff continue this work. It is nothing new, but the follow-up of a hard and delicate work that is being carried on with great dedication.

Regards,
Enrique

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I'm really relieved Aug 3, 2009

Enrique wrote:
ProZ.com staff has launched with top priority a comprehensive security review. This was reported earlier, and staff continue this work. It is nothing new, but the follow-up of a hard and delicate work that is being carried on with great dedication.

It is so good to finally hear such a clear statement. This is exactly what I needed, reassurance. Everything will be good... I'm already feeling much better.

Always look at the bright side....
.......Always look at the bright side....

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
Local time: 13:29
English to German
Another security issue Aug 3, 2009

I submitted already a support request for the following:

Up to a few days ago, when clearing the browser cache through delete and also deleting passwords, everything went fine. Now the issue is that even when clearing the browser cache you still remain logged on. I tried this with Explorer 8 and Firefox 3.

Also, I would like to point out that I am using a number of other sites and there its not an issue.

Uwe

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
This is about transparency Aug 3, 2009

Thanks for the update, Henry.

Henry D wrote:

To be clear, addressing this issue is currently the site team's highest priority. Like ELance, we have dropped everything and launched a comprehensive security review.

The difference is that Elance are actively communicating what's happening, and what is being done, in a much more transparent and pro-active manner than ProZ.com.

This included a contribution to the Elance blog, and a detailed description of the incident, and the action to remedy it.

In contrast, the ProZ.com site status doesn't even mention the issue - which means that unless members are following this topic (which, in my view, remains in the wrong forum), they have not been informed by ProZ.com to date.

To be clear, I fully understand that such things can happen, even though they shouldn't. But when they do, transparency is extremely important. I feel there is much scope for improvement here. Also, I fully understand that this is not something you can get rid of in a couple of days: thanks for devoting the necessary resources.

Information will continue to be provided in this thread.

Good! Please keep us posted on a regular basis. (As one of my colleagues puts it: "Do something good and talk about it.")

As posted previously, notification will also go out to those affected.

Here's where I see a major issue.
If you prefer notifying those affected (please define how you set the scope?) to posting a public notice, I consider that a valid approach (even though I don't quite agree) - but only if you notify them without delay.

Best regards,
Ralf

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 14:29
SITE FOUNDER
Thank you, Uwe Aug 3, 2009

Uwe Schwenk wrote:

I submitted already a support request for the following:

Up to a few days ago, when clearing the browser cache through delete and also deleting passwords, everything went fine. Now the issue is that even when clearing the browser cache you still remain logged on. I tried this with Explorer 8 and Firefox 3.

Also, I would like to point out that I am using a number of other sites and there its not an issue.

Thanks for this report, Uwe. I will have this investigated. (We'll continue in the support ticket you entered - thanks!)

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Password annoyance Aug 4, 2009

Back from holidays, I discovered this thread yesterday and decided to change my password by following the link provided by Henry in this very thread.

Today, I logged on to Proz from a different computer, and entered my new password (usually I never log out from Proz on any of my computers), at which point I was prompted to change my password *again*. Weird and a bit annoying to have to change it again although I just changed it yesterday.

Just a thought for Proz.com de
... See more
Back from holidays, I discovered this thread yesterday and decided to change my password by following the link provided by Henry in this very thread.

Today, I logged on to Proz from a different computer, and entered my new password (usually I never log out from Proz on any of my computers), at which point I was prompted to change my password *again*. Weird and a bit annoying to have to change it again although I just changed it yesterday.

Just a thought for Proz.com developers - members who never log out (like me) may never be prompted to change their password and may not even be aware of the recent security issues. Shouldn't there be an announcement about this on the home page so that everyone is informed about the need to change their password?
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Illegal use of data from ProZ.com profile

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »