Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Włochy
Członek ProZ.com
od 2002

angielski > włoski
+ ...
Jan 2, 2003

I know: this is probably a FAQ. However, the last time I enquired about instant jobs, about one year ago, I was answered that I was \"being considered for participation\" or something like this. I guess I did not pass the scrutiny - and my curiosity is still the same.

I am also wondering about the \"Internal jobs\" link on the main menu (left column on this page, under \"Bid history\". I did not notice it before, and its URL
... See more
I know: this is probably a FAQ. However, the last time I enquired about instant jobs, about one year ago, I was answered that I was \"being considered for participation\" or something like this. I guess I did not pass the scrutiny - and my curiosity is still the same.

I am also wondering about the \"Internal jobs\" link on the main menu (left column on this page, under \"Bid history\". I did not notice it before, and its URL (http://www.proz.com/?sp=404) leads to a \"Page not found\" message.

With best whishes to all of you.

Luca
Collapse

Marijke Mayer
Marijke Mayer  Identity Verified
Holandia
Local time: 21:18
niderlandzki > angielski
+ ...
quick jobs with immediate payment into PayPal or Proz Wallet Jan 3, 2003

Actually, to answer your question, there are not that many instant jobs. I\'m sure you could find this FAQ somewhere on this site. In my eyes, an instant job is generally a small one that needs to be completed very quickly. It obviously must be small in nature to be done rightaway.

Although not in quite such a rush, I placed one the other day as I needed one paragraph translation from a different language than what I usually translate from. I paid my colleague through PayPal
... See more
Actually, to answer your question, there are not that many instant jobs. I\'m sure you could find this FAQ somewhere on this site. In my eyes, an instant job is generally a small one that needs to be completed very quickly. It obviously must be small in nature to be done rightaway.

Although not in quite such a rush, I placed one the other day as I needed one paragraph translation from a different language than what I usually translate from. I paid my colleague through PayPal rightaway. I would classify this as an \'internal\' job between Proz members, but anyone could place an instant job.

Regards,

Marijke
Collapse

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
Wielka Brytania
Local time: 20:18
niemiecki > angielski
+ ...
Instant Jobs Jan 3, 2003

In my experience, Instant Jobs are pretty few and far between. They are generally small, and payment has been received up front, so there is, theoretically, no risk involved. Translators are essentially pre-qualified for the jobs on the basis of membership, kudoz, accreditation, etc., so if one comes in, all you need do is accept it.

The drawback of the system, at least for me, is that all jobs I have been offered have been US-based. Apart from the currency issues, this mean
... See more
In my experience, Instant Jobs are pretty few and far between. They are generally small, and payment has been received up front, so there is, theoretically, no risk involved. Translators are essentially pre-qualified for the jobs on the basis of membership, kudoz, accreditation, etc., so if one comes in, all you need do is accept it.

The drawback of the system, at least for me, is that all jobs I have been offered have been US-based. Apart from the currency issues, this means that the jobs almost invariably land in my inbox at around 4 in the morning! By the time I drag myself out of bed, they have almost always gone, or need completion within 37 minutes !. (As an aside, would it be possible to pre-qualify translators on the basis of approximate time zone as well?).

As far as I know, the \'internal jobs\' section was for inhouse positions. But it doesn\'t seem to be working at the moment.

Regards

Mary
Collapse

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Niemcy
angielski > niemiecki
+ ...
Same problem Jan 3, 2003

Hi Mary,

I have the same problem. I received only one InstantJob so far, but by the time I saw the invitation (which was something like 8 a.m. CET) I only had about 2 or 3 hours for a 2,000 words job, and it was impossible to deliver an accurate translation within this short period of time.

I do like the idea of receiving such invitations and completing translations instantly, if necessary, but it honestly does not make a lot of sense to just see
... See more
Hi Mary,

I have the same problem. I received only one InstantJob so far, but by the time I saw the invitation (which was something like 8 a.m. CET) I only had about 2 or 3 hours for a 2,000 words job, and it was impossible to deliver an accurate translation within this short period of time.

I do like the idea of receiving such invitations and completing translations instantly, if necessary, but it honestly does not make a lot of sense to just see all these offers slip through your fingers because of time differences.

Regards,

Sonja
Collapse

Laura Gentili
Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Włochy
Członek ProZ.com
od 2003

angielski > włoski
+ ...
My experience Jan 4, 2003

Hello Luca,

In the English-Italian pair instant jobs have been very few and usually come in the evening from US clients. I think the reason you did not get any invitation to complete instant jobs is due to the relatively small amount of KudoZ points you have. Also BrowniZ points are taken into account. I have 2200 KudoZ points and 2135 BrowniZ and I have been invited to complete some instant jobs but as part of the SECOND set of 5 translators invited. This means that even with my score
... See more
Hello Luca,

In the English-Italian pair instant jobs have been very few and usually come in the evening from US clients. I think the reason you did not get any invitation to complete instant jobs is due to the relatively small amount of KudoZ points you have. Also BrowniZ points are taken into account. I have 2200 KudoZ points and 2135 BrowniZ and I have been invited to complete some instant jobs but as part of the SECOND set of 5 translators invited. This means that even with my scores I belong to the second set of 5 people invited and not to the first one.

HTH

Laura
Collapse

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazylia
Local time: 16:18
Członek ProZ.com
od 2001

angielski > włoski
+ ...
There is no first and second set Jan 7, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-04 11:36, Laura G. wrote:

Hello Luca,

In the English-Italian pair instant jobs have been very few and usually come in the evening from US clients. I think the reason you did not get any invitation to complete instant jobs is due to the relatively small amount of KudoZ points you have. Also BrowniZ points are taken into account. I have 2200 KudoZ points and 2135 BrowniZ and I have been invited to complete... See more
Quote:

On 2003-01-04 11:36, Laura G. wrote:

Hello Luca,

In the English-Italian pair instant jobs have been very few and usually come in the evening from US clients. I think the reason you did not get any invitation to complete instant jobs is due to the relatively small amount of KudoZ points you have. Also BrowniZ points are taken into account. I have 2200 KudoZ points and 2135 BrowniZ and I have been invited to complete some instant jobs but as part of the SECOND set of 5 translators invited. This means that even with my scores I belong to the second set of 5 people invited and not to the first one.

HTH

Laura

I believe that there is not a first and second set, but a number of invitations are sent, according so some criteria, and the first person to accept the translation gets it.

The criteria include the number of kudoz in the specific language pair and subject, and perhaps the browniz and type of membership.

I have done 3 Instant jobs, all as reviewer, but

I received, in each case, two invitations: one for translation and one for review.

When I answered the translation was already taken and I accepted the task of reviewing.

Gianfranco

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are instant jobs?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »