A Spain-based translation company never paid for my work
Thread poster: Carlos Vergara
Carlos Vergara
Carlos Vergara  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 30, 2012

Between November 2010 and February 2011 I was contacted by a translation company based in Alicante, Spain and managed by a French national of apparently British background, to translate two texts from English into Spanish. Even though we agreed on a payment and I sent him invoices complying with his requirements, I never received the agreed amount of money for my work.

In the beginning I thought that it was not worth my time to do anything further, but now I think that it is importa
... See more
Between November 2010 and February 2011 I was contacted by a translation company based in Alicante, Spain and managed by a French national of apparently British background, to translate two texts from English into Spanish. Even though we agreed on a payment and I sent him invoices complying with his requirements, I never received the agreed amount of money for my work.

In the beginning I thought that it was not worth my time to do anything further, but now I think that it is important for ProZ and its members to respect and inforce basic principles of work ethics.

Is there anything additional that can be done about this character?

Carlos Vergara
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:46
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Please post in the Blue Board May 30, 2012

Please post your experience in the Blue Board. This will help others who might be considering working for the same outsourcer, and may stir the company in question to pay you. Here is the link for posting: http://www.proz.com/blueboard/?&sp_mode=entry

In case this particular outsourcer does not appear in the Blue Board, you ca
... See more
Please post your experience in the Blue Board. This will help others who might be considering working for the same outsourcer, and may stir the company in question to pay you. Here is the link for posting: http://www.proz.com/blueboard/?&sp_mode=entry

In case this particular outsourcer does not appear in the Blue Board, you can add the outsourcer to the Blue Board here: http://www.proz.com/blueboard/?sp_mode=add and then post your Blue Board entry.
Collapse

Vincent Lemma
Vincent Lemma  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:46
Italian to English
+ ...
Agree, post BB May 30, 2012

Agree with Yolanda, post on the BlueBoard, as I myself seem to have a similar situation and will surely use this tool, not only to stir the company, but also to provide info to my colleagues.
It is all a question of letting the industry know that we translators have some sort of framework to back us up. Obviously this is mutual in the sense that we are also open to scrutiny, just the way things should work.

Cheers and good luck!

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
The BB May 31, 2012

Yes, do post your experience with this company on the BB or create a record for them, if they aren't listed.

I also created a BB record for an outsourcer a while back. This hasn't compelled the company to pay what they still owe me since last autumn, but at least our colleagues will be informed/warned.

Good luck!

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
The real world May 31, 2012

Hire a collection agency or sue the outsourcer using a local small claims procedure.
*That* is the framework that backs you up (if you can prove your claim).

You may not get your money back in the end, but you'll have the satisfaction of having caused some worry and expense for the outsourcer.

Even a registered letter (not an e-mail) warning about your intention to do this may help.

Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:46
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
The same problem and placing on BB problem May 31, 2012

I also have the same problem with the agency in Vigo.
Placing them on the BB doesn't get the payment, though...
On the other hand, my linguistic pair is from those that don't pay off the ProZ membership. So, not getting over a 1.000 euros for my job, surely I'm not going to invest hundreds just into possibility of warning fellow peers.
Now I wonder how to "sue the outsourcer using a local small claims procedure" when I'm not in Spain...
By the way, several other agencies
... See more
I also have the same problem with the agency in Vigo.
Placing them on the BB doesn't get the payment, though...
On the other hand, my linguistic pair is from those that don't pay off the ProZ membership. So, not getting over a 1.000 euros for my job, surely I'm not going to invest hundreds just into possibility of warning fellow peers.
Now I wonder how to "sue the outsourcer using a local small claims procedure" when I'm not in Spain...
By the way, several other agencies, non-Spanish, have come to my with their inquiries about the translation possibility, and when I saw the samples, it was part of the same power station documentation that I had done my translation. I got the impression that the guy from Vigo was shopping around for parts of the translation, not paying for the job done and moving on for the next (victim ?).
Collapse

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Small claims procedure in Spain May 31, 2012

http://ec.europa.eu/civiljustice/simplif_accelerat_procedures/simplif_accelerat_procedures_spa_en_claim.htm

Good luck! Don't give up without at least sending them a registered warning letter.

Carlos Vergara
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks. I will pursue my claim May 31, 2012

Thanks to all of you: I will pursue my claim, at least to give a little hell to this guy.

Carlos Vergara
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The Blue Board complaint worked Jun 1, 2012

Took two days for the guy to pay me. Thank you for all the suggestions.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A Spain-based translation company never paid for my work

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »