Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Discriminatory job posting
Thread poster: B D Finch
Aguas de Mar (X)
Aguas de Mar (X)
It seems discriminatory to me Apr 1, 2010

Catherine GUILLIAUMET wrote:

It is not so far if you consider the EU legislation, which forbids the publication of ads written the way which was described at the begining of this thread or that you are describing. And penalties are very heavy in case of violation. It is why I was very shocked too.

Moreover, in France it has been included in our Constitution centuries ago.
Catherine
Sorry for my bad English

AFAIK, US legislation also forbids publication of ads of discriminatory type, and using religion as a filter to select a professional (or a tenant, for that matter) is considered discriminatory in most cases, as it has to be proven that only a person from that religious faith is able to perform the work, which I am afraid would not be the case in this particular instance.

What I wonder, is how such legislation can be enforced on the web, and if Proz cares about the possible legal and social implications of ads of this type appearing on its website. If they care, I think they should have already contacted whoever published the ad and ask them either to rephrase it, or to explain the basis for such a request.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:06
French to German
+ ...
At "any rate", and even for free... Apr 1, 2010

Aguas de Marco wrote:

What I wonder, is how such legislation can be enforced on the web, and if Proz cares about the possible legal and social implications of ads of this type appearing on its website. If they care, I think they should have already contacted whoever published the ad and ask them either to rephrase it, or to explain the basis for such a request.

an explanation is by far better as posting such a job without comments...

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:06
German to Spanish
+ ...
Discriminatory job posting Apr 1, 2010

B D Finch wrote:

I have raised this as a support ticket, however, I would like to know what other people think about this issue.

I was quite shocked to see a current job posting calling for translators of a particular Christian denomination. Though it was a call for volunteers and not paid work, I do not think that justifies discrimination against those of other faiths, or none. Even if the work is voluntary, to indicate that Jews, Hindus, Muslims etc. need not apply is still discrimination. I am not interested in football and would not have considered applying in any case, so I am not writing this because I am personally excluded (though am doubly excluded as I am Jewish of the atheist persuasion). I am sure that many non-adherents know enough about the Church to be able to fully meet the requirements of this job. There may be some translators who are not in the requisite group, starting out who would love the opportunity to translate football-related material and be credited.

I wonder what test of religious adherence the job poster intended applying. Would ProZ accept a similar posting that asked for white translators? Are job postings by banks going to be able to specify that only supporters of capitalism need apply? Are Israeli outsourcers going to be able to insist that applicants must be Zionists, or even Jewish?

BDF

[Edited at 2010-04-01 19:08 GMT]

From the moment that you are trying to restrict freedom of expression of another people you're behaving just like them. Therefore, your arguments seems equally valid or equally meaningless to me.

[Editado a las 2010-04-01 20:31 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:06
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
But was it serious? Apr 1, 2010

I saw it, was upset by it, but decided not to take any action as it was voluntary work. I would have reported it as discriminatory had it been a paid assignment.

Has anyone seen this:
... See more
I saw it, was upset by it, but decided not to take any action as it was voluntary work. I would have reported it as discriminatory had it been a paid assignment.

Has anyone seen this:

http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/universal-bark-translator/index.html?utm_campaign=01apr10east&utm_source=01apr10east&utm_medium=email&utm_source=bv3months&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=bv3months

I tried to buy one, but apparently it isn't for sale
Collapse

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Locking thread Apr 1, 2010

Hello all,

Note that job postings at ProZ.com do not only have to respect site rules for posting jobs but also a principle of equal opportunity, meaning that all language service providers should be eligible to quote on jobs provided they meet the criteria specified by the job poster and regardless of gender, age, country, reli
... See more
Hello all,

Note that job postings at ProZ.com do not only have to respect site rules for posting jobs but also a principle of equal opportunity, meaning that all language service providers should be eligible to quote on jobs provided they meet the criteria specified by the job poster and regardless of gender, age, country, religion, etc.

For the case discussed here, appropriate action has been taken. For this reason, and because the discussion seems to have drifted from the original topic to more controversial waters, I am locking this thread, in line with http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/1#1

Thank you all for your understanding.

Kind regards,

Lucia
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Discriminatory job posting

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »