Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Am I being sent a job mail personally ... or not?
Thread poster: Minoru Kuwahara
Minoru Kuwahara
Minoru Kuwahara
Japan
Local time: 04:59
English to Japanese
+ ...
May 13, 2009

Dear everyone,

Sorry to ask a basic thing, but I know ProZ.com has been constantly updated recently, and I'm receiving a different type of job offer announcements from those I was seeing before, which is making it a bit confusing to know whether the sender personally contacts me or else s/he uses the ProZ.com directory to send out the same job accnouncement to multiple receivers.

I'm asking this because I always wonder if I should actually reply every time I receive a
... See more
Dear everyone,

Sorry to ask a basic thing, but I know ProZ.com has been constantly updated recently, and I'm receiving a different type of job offer announcements from those I was seeing before, which is making it a bit confusing to know whether the sender personally contacts me or else s/he uses the ProZ.com directory to send out the same job accnouncement to multiple receivers.

I'm asking this because I always wonder if I should actually reply every time I receive a similar job offer from different senders unless being contacted personally. I mean, if s/he uses the function to send the same message as a "mass mail" and is just trying to search for anyone available at that time, who could be a potential job-taker, then, I feel I would not always need to take time to respond during occupancy with other job(s).

The bottom corner of such messages typically includes the note like below. From here, I'm guessing the sender only refers to the directory where a list of certain language-pair translators appears and may contact us via a new system without knowing specifically who s/he's addressing the message.

----------------------------------------
This message was sent to you via the ProZ.com directory.
Sender: XXXXXXXXXXX
Sender's profile: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Sender's IP address: XX.XX.XX.XXX
To adjust your ProZ.com email preferences, visit this page: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
For technical assistance, please submit a support ticket: http://proz.com/support

And the adddressee's name and email address are typically "ProZ.com Member" and "[email protected]" respectively.

Will you help me understand what's going on with this new job postings?

Thank you!

Minoru

* Upon certain inputs from members, I made the note's information totally anonymous not to make it a cause of confusion since the content of all details do not count in the context. I assure the job posts are sure to be being sent from real ProZ.com job system.

[2009-05-13 06:05 GMTに編集されました]
Collapse

Elisabete Cunha
Elisabete Cunha  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:59
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It can only be a scam May 13, 2009

Hi mulberryvalley,

I came across your topic and I clicked on the sender's link below and that's my profile page!

I never sent you any email, so what's going on here?? How can anyone send an email on behalf of me? Is that even possible??

mulberryvalley wrote:

Dear everyone,

I'm asking this because I always wonder if I should actually reply every time I receive a similar job offer from different senders unless being contacted personally. I mean, if s/he uses the function to send the same message as a "mass mail" and is just trying to search for anyone available at that time, who could be a potential job-taker, then, I feel I would not always need to take time to respond during occupancy with other job(s).

The bottom corner of such messages typically includes the note like below. From here, I'm guessing the sender only refers to the directory where a list of certain language-pair translators appears and may anonymously contact us via a new system.

This message was sent to you via the ProZ.com directory.
Sender: XXXXXXXXXXX
Sender's profile: http://proz.com/profile/XXXXX
Sender's IP address: XX.XX.XX.XXX
To adjust your ProZ.com email preferences, visit this page:
http://proz.com/?sp=ef
For technical assistance, please submit a support ticket:
http://proz.com/support

Will you help me understand what's going on with this new job postings?

Thank you!

Minoru

Minoru Kuwahara
Minoru Kuwahara
Japan
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
not a scam May 13, 2009

Elisabete Cunha wrote:

Hi mulberryvalley,

I came across your topic and I clicked on the sender's link below and that's my profile page!

I never sent you any email, so what's going on here?? How can anyone send an email on behalf of me? Is that even possible??

Hi Elisabete, sorry not to mention this is just an example of a typical note I usally find in job posts, so this is not a scam. I changed the original information under the Sender: and Sender's IP: so as to make it anonymous. This is it.

Thanks,
Minoru
mulberryvalley

[2009-05-13 01:21 GMTに編集されました]

Elisabete Cunha
Elisabete Cunha  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
An example? May 13, 2009

But why does my page appear when I click on it? Does this happen to anyone? Anybody who clicks see his/her own page? Is that it?

I got a little worried, because I thought someone could be using my identity...

mulberryvalley wrote:

Elisabete Cunha wrote:

Hi mulberryvalley,

Hi Elisabete, sorry not to mention this is just an example of a typical note I usally find in job posts, so this is not a scam. I changed the original information under the Sender: and Sender's IP: so as to make it anonymous. This is it.

Thanks,
Minoru
mulberryvalley

[2009-05-13 01:21 GMTに編集されました]

Narcis Lozano Drago
Narcis Lozano Drago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:59
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same problem here May 13, 2009

I have the same problem. I often confuse these bulk messages with those sent from my profile page (you have to check the address, or notice that there is not [Proz mail] tag in the Subject; quite confusing).

It would be nice to have some tag in the subject of those messages ([Bulk mail]), and even nicer to know how many people have been targeted, in order to decide if it is worth replying or not.

Narcis

Minoru Kuwahara
Minoru Kuwahara
Japan
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
at least, not a scam May 13, 2009

Elisabete Cunha wrote:

But why does my page appear when I click on it? Does this happen to anyone? Anybody who clicks see his/her own page? Is that it?

I got a little worried, because I thought someone could be using my identity...

It's definitely not. If you are familiar with KudoZ, you may have heard the same thing happens before. I cannot explain technically, however, when links autehtically recognized from ProZ.com lead to your own profile, I think you do not have to worry about it, at least.

If you still have some doubt, I recommend you would refer to information you will find from threads on other forums or post a new topic by yourself to a proper place.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
View defaults to your own profile when you click on a faulty profile link May 13, 2009

You need not worry, Elisabete,

Whenever you click on a faulty profile link (i.e. http://www.proz.com/profile/... followed by an invalid profile ID), the display defaults to your own profile. As correctly pointed out, this has been discussed on several occasions in the past.

Best regards,
Ralf

michiko tsum (X)
michiko tsum (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:59
English to Japanese
I reply to a mail when May 13, 2009

it is address to me, even it's via my profile page. If it is addressed to "ProZ.com member". I probably won't reply to that mail unless I'm interested in the job.

I think Narcis has a good point. It would be nice if it is specified how many people are receiving the mail.

Minoru Kuwahara
Minoru Kuwahara
Japan
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So "ProZ.com Member" in the addressee means it's a "mass mail"? May 13, 2009

As to the original post, firstly let me clarify most senders of the job announcements I'm talking about are registered and approved independent translators or translation agencies who have profiles at ProZ.com, which we can look at along with their BB records via a link printed there. So I confirm this is not a big issue here.

michiko tsumura wrote:
it is address to me, even it's via my profile page. If it is addressed to "ProZ.com member". I probably won't reply to that mail unless I'm interested in the job.

I think Narcis has a good point. It would be nice if it is specified how many people are receiving the mail.

Thank you, michiko-san, for your post to this thread.
Presuming from your comment, I guess you seem to be sure that if the addressee is "ProZ.com Member", that means it's a "mass type" of job mail. Am I right you think it is? In that case, I absolutely agree with you and Narcis that every future job announcement should be clearly categorized into either "Personal type" or "Mass type", and appended with the information on how many people are targeted by a particular job mail for us to assume it's a "worthwhile" job or not.
I hope ProZ.com management staffs would consider this arrangement if they notice this thread...

Minoru Kuwahara

Minoru Kuwahara
Minoru Kuwahara
Japan
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks May 15, 2009

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Whenever you click on a faulty profile link (i.e. http://www.proz.com/profile/... followed by an invalid profile ID), the display defaults to your own profile. As correctly pointed out, this has been discussed on several occasions in the past.

Best regards,
Ralf

So that's what everyone of us sees when clicking on faulty profile links. This is nothing related to scam. Thanks, Ralf, for clarification.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:59
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
The Advanced directory has a mailing option May 15, 2009

Dear mulberryvalley,
This is not a scam.
The Advanced Directory has a function where a message can be sent to multiple people.
You can see it yourself, how it works.
Go to the Advanced Directory (Directories menu, then Advanced Directory):

http://search.proz.com/connect/find/241850?classic_hybrid=y

Search for example for English
... See more
Dear mulberryvalley,
This is not a scam.
The Advanced Directory has a function where a message can be sent to multiple people.
You can see it yourself, how it works.
Go to the Advanced Directory (Directories menu, then Advanced Directory):

http://search.proz.com/connect/find/241850?classic_hybrid=y

Search for example for English to Japanese translators, click the Native in target option. Make sure the Pro-tag is not required.
You will see yourself on the list, you come up as 5th, I think.
On the top of the list there are several options, such as "Post new job" or "Send a message".

If you click on these options, you will see how they work.
You can send a mass-mail to the first 100 people on the list, or a job posting to all people in the search results, or do the same for individually selected people.

I hope this explains it.

Katalin
Collapse

Mette Melchior
Mette Melchior  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Danish
+ ...
Would be nice with a clearer distinction between mass mail and personal mail May 16, 2009

I have also noticed that this way of announcing jobs or searching for new translators has become more popular lately, and I agree with Mulberryvally that it would be nice with a clearer indication of when it is mass mail and when it is a mail sent through your personal profile.

I would prefer if the fact that it is a mass mail sent via the directory also appeared in the subject line of the email and not only indicated in the receiver details inside the email, as it is now, so I cou
... See more
I have also noticed that this way of announcing jobs or searching for new translators has become more popular lately, and I agree with Mulberryvally that it would be nice with a clearer indication of when it is mass mail and when it is a mail sent through your personal profile.

I would prefer if the fact that it is a mass mail sent via the directory also appeared in the subject line of the email and not only indicated in the receiver details inside the email, as it is now, so I could take a quick decision about whether this is something I want to spend time on replying to or not. When I am busy, I just ignore this kind of general requests, but if it is an e-mail sent personally from an agency who has actually looked at my profile and would like to collaborate with me, I would like to answer them in a timely way.

As it is now, it isn't even indicated in the subject line that this is an email sent through Proz.com, so in the inbox these bulk mails just look like mails from potential clients who have contacted you personally, which is a bit misleading, I think. So I hope the site staff will consider changing this. It would suffice just to insert [Proz.com lists] or [Proz.com directory] in the beginning of the subject line, in line with the [Proz.com mail] for the personal mail sent via the profiles.

As suggested by others, I also think it would be a really useful piece of information, if it was furthermore indicated how many people the mail has been sent to.

That was my 2 cents on this matter.

Have a nice weekend

Mette
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
I asked the same question last year May 16, 2009

http://www.proz.com/forum.php/prozcom_job_systems/110903-questions_regarding_connect_job_notifications.html

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Yes, and yet no May 16, 2009

Mette Melchior wrote:
.... it would be nice with a clearer indication of when it is mass mail and when it is a mail sent through your personal profile.

I do see your point (and that made by others here).

But really, I think that if anyone, anywhere is sending a mail just to me (for the first time), then they can use my name. Then they will (usually) get a reply, all other things being equal.

If I get addressed as "Dear member/colleague" and suchlike tripe, I assume it is a mass mailshot of some kind and feel under absolutely no obligation to respond, unless the offer is particularly attractive.

Mette Melchior
Mette Melchior  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Danish
+ ...
Still, it would be nice with easier identification May 16, 2009

Charlie Bavington wrote:

But really, I think that if anyone, anywhere is sending a mail just to me (for the first time), then they can use my name. Then they will (usually) get a reply, all other things being equal.

If I get addressed as "Dear member/colleague" and suchlike tripe, I assume it is a mass mailshot of some kind and feel under absolutely no obligation to respond, unless the offer is particularly attractive.

Of course - I agree with you Charlie. Mostly it is easy to see from the e-mail content itself that it is a mass mail. What I am saying is just that it would be nice if this was simply indicated in the subject line somehow, so I wouldn't have to open the mail first to see if it is a personal request or a mass mail. It might seem a bit petty worrying about whether to spend time on opening an e-mail or not. But on busy days with many incoming mails and enquiries, I think it would be nice to be able to quickly see what kind of e-mail it is to decide whether it is something you want to spend time on reading/responding to or not.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Am I being sent a job mail personally ... or not?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »