What does the " ... " mean in the comment area for LWA entries on the Blue Board?
Thread poster: Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:30
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
May 7, 2009

I know I'm being really dull here but what does ......... mean in Blueboard comments please? I've seen it for both positive and negative gradings.
Thanks
Suzi

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-05-07 12:09 GMT]

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 16:30
SITE STAFF
No comment May 7, 2009

Hello Susanna,

The " ... " in the comment section indicates that no comment has been entered by the poster of the entry. Note that if this is the case you will only see " ... " in the comment section, as opposed to, for example, "Great terms, professional ... would work with them again", which would have been entered by the service provider. I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jared

Susanna Garcia
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
......... May 7, 2009

Thanks, Jared. I feel really stupid now.

Suzi

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 16:30
SITE STAFF
Comment! May 7, 2009

Hi Suzi,

Don't feel stupid, I had to look for the answer too (so, if anything, we're both stupid!). I can see how this may be taken as the service provider just entering "..." and it may be better to replace this with something that more clearly reflects that nothing was entered in the comment area. I am adding an FAQ to the Blue Board section which covers this for the time being. Thanks!

Best regards,

Jared

Kemal Mustajbegovic
Kemal Mustajbegovic  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:30
English to Croatian
+ ...
N/A insted of "..." May 7, 2009

If there's no comment then more appropriate would be N/A - "not applicable".

My 2c.

Hana Japan
Hana Japan
Japan
Local time: 04:30
English to Japanese
+ ...
Also possible May 8, 2009

If you see no comments on the BlueBoad while there are still grades on, it's also possible that the comments have been deleted by the providers self after sometime they entered comments.

[Edited at 2009-05-08 06:17 GMT]

Susanna Garcia
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
...... May 8, 2009

Clearly not as simple as I thought! Thank you all.

Kathryn Litherland
Kathryn Litherland  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:30
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
why not blank May 8, 2009

If the translator has left no comment, can't the field just be left empty? If there has to be something there for the software's sake, could it be a space character?

Susanna Garcia
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
........ May 9, 2009

Or perhaps 'no comment left', and 'comment edited/deleted' as applicable so we know exactly what happened, that way we could have more transparency.

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 15:30
Or May 9, 2009

Susanna Garcia wrote:

Or perhaps 'no comment left', and 'comment edited/deleted' as applicable so we know exactly what happened, that way we could have more transparency.

For some unspeakable reasons...

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:30
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
IMHO .... is fine May 10, 2009

Hi,

personally, I'd be against any "N/A" or "unspeakable" (as the reason why no comment was entered is sometimes far from "not applicable" or "unspeakable"). After all, each numerical Likelihood represent a specific and pretty clear "statement":

5) Most definitely
(I would be delighted to work again with this outsourcer)

4) Definitely
(I would work again with this outsourcer)

3) Maybe
(I might work again with this outsourcer)

2) Doubtfully
(I would probably not work again with this outsourcer)

1) No way
(I would definitely refuse to work again with this outsourcer)

so that the comment is really optional. IMHO, adding an N/A (or any other words) would be mean that the numerical LWA relates to a simple rating, while it is not per definition, or commenting a way far from one's intent (otherwise a comment would have been entered).

Giuiiana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What does the " ... " mean in the comment area for LWA entries on the Blue Board?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »