Which subjects in F>E translation are most in demand?
Thread poster: C_Eitle
C_Eitle
C_Eitle
French to English
Feb 3, 2002

How can I find out which subjects have the greatest demand for F>E translators? I\'m trying to decide what I should specialize in. I would love to specialize in scientific areas - biochemistry, biotechnology, chemistry, etc. Any ideas?

Gayle Wallimann
Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:23
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Enjoy your specialty! Feb 4, 2002

You will find a demand for all types of translation, but you will not get many jobs unless you are really good at what you do. By that, I mean that you should specialize in what you know the best, then you will be the best that you can in that field. If science is what you are good at in your mother tongue, then continue studying it in your second language. You can\'t go wrong if you first understand your field and enjoy working in it iin your own language. Good luck!

Gayle

IsaPro
IsaPro  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:23
English to French
+ ...
A piece of advice Feb 4, 2002

I think you should consider the fields you are very good in (i.e that you understand, that you feel able to make others understand...) and not the trends of the translation market.

You will find customers in your fields if you know where to post your resume.

Good luck

IsaPro

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Andriy Bublikov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which subjects in F>E translation are most in demand?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »