sdvplatt
sdvplatt
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:00
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Jun 18, 2018

I see marketing company SDL has started pushing its new update Studio 2019.
I wonder if it will address some of the basic performance issues plaguing the current version.
For me, these include slow MT integration, still only a 32 bit Windows version, lack of support for other OSs.
These seem to be longstanding issues. If SDL fails to deliver this time, is it time to dump them for good?
If so, is MemoQ the only serious rival?

Stanislav Korobov

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Seriously! Jun 18, 2018

deutschenglisch wrote:

I see marketing company SDL has started pushing its new update Studio 2019.
I wonder if it will address some of the basic performance issues plaguing the current version.
For me, these include slow MT integration, still only a 32 bit Windows version, lack of support for other OSs.
These seem to be longstanding issues. If SDL fails to deliver this time, is it time to dump them for good?
If so, is MemoQ the only serious rival?

I wouldn't say so ... In my opinion, CafeTran Espresso 2018 is a much better alternative than memoQ. It's stable, fast and offers many features that both Studio and memoQ are missing.

Now, with the recently added window layout #6 (Compact), CafeTran will look familiar to users of Studio and memoQ.

Screen Shot 2018-06-18 at 10.54.13

sdvplatt
BabelOn-line

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
There are better options out there (CafeTran, Memsource and Déjà Vu e.g.)... Jun 18, 2018

Agree with Hans. It's a real pity so many people always seem to think Studio and memoQ are the only two out there. Especially for people who already own a Studio licence, it is a much better idea to do your actual translating in something better like CafeTran (which can handle Studio formats), and if need be do a final check in Studio. Neither is there nay need to keep paying for new Studio versions every year (even though I stupidly keep doing that) as an older version is usually just fine for ... See more
Agree with Hans. It's a real pity so many people always seem to think Studio and memoQ are the only two out there. Especially for people who already own a Studio licence, it is a much better idea to do your actual translating in something better like CafeTran (which can handle Studio formats), and if need be do a final check in Studio. Neither is there nay need to keep paying for new Studio versions every year (even though I stupidly keep doing that) as an older version is usually just fine for running a final compatibility check.

Michael
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:00
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Will update about a year after new version is published Jun 18, 2018

By updating we ensure that the developers have the money to do their job also in the future. Never had any offer for using other software than SDL Trados, Wordfast Pro. One case for MemoQ, but when I got the program running the client changed his mind and vanished. So I do not see any reason why I should not pay for the update, its about the money I earn on a single day using SDL Trados. The fee for MemoQ earned me zero Euro.

[Bearbeitet am 2018-06-19 06:36 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:00
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Why really? Jun 18, 2018

deutschenglisch wrote:
For me, these include slow MT integration, still only a 32-bit Windows version, lack of support for other OSs.

Lack of support for multiple OSes is only a problem for translators who regularly switch between different OSes, and there are not many of those.

Writing a 64-bit version would require quite a bit of extra effort, but what are the benefits REALLY? Does the 32-bit version of Trados currently max out the available RAM during normal operation? Will a 64-bit version of Trados really, really be capable of anything that a 32-bit version can't do?

Which MT systems do you find that Trados hasn't integrated itself with fast enough yet?

The three issues you mention do not relate functionality. You must choose a CAT tool for what it can do for you personally.

[Edited at 2018-06-18 14:31 GMT]

Darius Sciuka

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
other OS's Jun 18, 2018

Trados doesn't work on Mac. Apparently MemoQ doesn't either. Unless you go to the hassle of adding (whatever that thing is called to make your Mac act like Windows).

Vi Pukite
BabelOn-line

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
They must be doing something right Jun 18, 2018

There is LOTS of competition on the market, price-wise, feature-wise and in just about every other way.
No one has to swallow arguments about 'industry standard' raw. Many of us are FREElancers, and we don't just follow the crowd, for lots of reasons. It would make life easier in some ways if there were more fixed rules and standards, but maybe the whole charm of language is that there are so many exceptions and variations.

If you don't like SDL Trados, then find a CAT you do
... See more
There is LOTS of competition on the market, price-wise, feature-wise and in just about every other way.
No one has to swallow arguments about 'industry standard' raw. Many of us are FREElancers, and we don't just follow the crowd, for lots of reasons. It would make life easier in some ways if there were more fixed rules and standards, but maybe the whole charm of language is that there are so many exceptions and variations.

If you don't like SDL Trados, then find a CAT you do like. The only way is to try them. I think it is largely a matter of taste and how individuals plan their workflow. I have over the years tried MemoQ and Wordfast Classic, which had their advantages, and I have tried a few other CATs which I disliked.
I came back to Trados each time, but that is just me. I hated it when I first used it, many years ago, but it has improved beyond recognition since then.

I know at least one colleague who still hates it, no matter what he does. It clearly doesn't suit everyone, so ditch it if that is how you feel about it.

Trados is very probably better for some language combinations and scripts than others. I certainly sympathise with the principle that if you are not happy with your CAT, then it will distract you, and you cannot concentrate on translating.

Personally, I like Trados and am looking forward to hearing in more detail what is coming. I may decide not to update, but I have said that every time, and been happy with most of the new features so far. I don't use them all, and for those who prefer a leaner, simpler CAT, there are others to choose from.

But if anyone reading this thread has never tried Trados, it ain't all bad!

Collapse

Joe Ly Sien
Roy Chacón
Heinrich Pesch
Darius Sciuka
Natalia Bariola
Carlos Teran

sdvplatt
sdvplatt
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Web version works on all platforms. Jun 18, 2018

MollyRose wrote:

Trados doesn't work on Mac. Apparently MemoQ doesn't either. Unless you go to the hassle of adding (whatever that thing is called to make your Mac act like Windows).

Web version works on all platforms.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
MemoQ web version Jun 19, 2018

deutschenglisch wrote:
MollyRose wrote:
Trados doesn't work on Mac. Apparently MemoQ doesn't either.

[The w]eb version [of MemoQ] works on all platforms.

The MemoQ web version is a two-component system -- a client and a server. The client works on any platform with a reasonably modern browser, but the server is not platform independent -- it requires Windows Server 2012. So if you want to use the web version on "all platforms", you're still going to have to install the server on a separate computer that runs just one specific OS.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:00
English to Russian
How come? Jun 19, 2018

deutschenglisch wrote:
still only a 32 bit Windows version

According to SDL: For optimum performance, we recommend a 64-bit operating system... (https://www.sdltrados.com/products/trados-studio/system-requirements.html)

What regards its cost, in my country the pre-order price of Freelance Plus upgrade is 80 euros (for two machines). This is exactly the same as 1-year fee for CT (one machine I suppose). MT issues, if applicable, can be resolved by using third-party app (free QTranslate for example, or paid GT4T, or something else). Can't see a reason for moving from one CAT to another.

[Edited at 2018-06-19 11:21 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Missing the point Jun 19, 2018

Stepan Konev wrote:

What regards its cost, in my country the pre-order price of Freelance Plus upgrade is 80 euros (for two machines). This is exactly the same as 1-year fee for CT (one machine I suppose). MT issues, if applicable, can be resolved by using third-party app (free QTranslate for example, or paid GT4T, or something else). Can't see a reason for moving from one CAT to another.

[Edited at 2018-06-19 11:21 GMT]

Good for you that in your country the Studio upgrade is only 80 €.

BTW: You missed the better offer for CafeTran Espresso 2018: One-time Purchase
€200 for 3 years of updates (66 €/year). Or even better: the Proz Plus upgrading that includes CafeTran Espresso 2018.

But, in my opinion, the price shouldn't be a big issue. A professional translator can easily pay the license fee.

Much more important are the OP's original remarks:

I think that under 'basic performance issues' one can count the Multiterm integration issues too.

And yes, the free choice of an operating system is crucial and not trivial.

In my opinion, Studio isn't really innovative anymore. Every once in a while some third-party tool is bought and integrated. But focus isn't primarily on improving the efficiency of the translator or reducing the complexity of the (Multiterm) databases and other components (like making the Find/Replace dialogue box smarter, allowing Finding and Replacing in the project and resources simultaneously).

CafeTran Espresso 2018, on the other hand, is constantly improving and innovating. It is completely focussed on improving the efficiency of the translator (even with Studio projects ). Translating with CafeTran Espresso 2018 is really fun, just as advertised.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Here we are now, entertain us Jun 20, 2018

Hans Lenting wrote:
66 €/year

Ok, let's try again:
Step 1. 80 eur for 2 licenses = 80/2 = 40 per license
Step 2. 40 eur for upgrade (NOT year) = 40 eur per 2 years
Step 3. Compare 66 €/year for CT and 20 €/year for Trados.
Want Russian citizenship?

Jorge Payan

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
It’s not about the price tag Jun 20, 2018

Addition: One CafeTran license is valid for two computers (Windows, Mac, Linux). The Proz Plus version of CafeTran is ‘floating’: CafeTran can be run on any supported computer that is at hand (one at a time). Flexible, ain’t it?

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Ok, then what is that innovative about CT? Jun 20, 2018

I don't switch between different operation systems before lunch and after lunch. I don't need MT. However if I needed, I can easily integrate MT. If you don't know how, it is your problem, not that of CAT tool. So, apart from blatant advertising... What's new?

[Edited at 2018-06-20 03:29 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Innovative or basic feature? Jun 20, 2018

Stepan Konev wrote:

Ok, then what is that innovative about CT?

Thank you for asking. Here's a selection of features that I find innovative. I don't say that none of the features is offered by other innovative CAT tools (omegaT, Memsource etc.), but in my opinion this bundling of useful features is unique.

• Flexible GUI/ergonomics: many themes (eye-friendly dark mode, light mode etc.) available out of the box, but you can create your own themes too.
  • Flexible GUI/ergonomics: all panes can be positioned on different monitors.
  • Flexible GUI: translation editors can be placed nearly anywhere and can be arranged horizontally or vertically.
  • Flexible GUI: many panes (resources) can have their own font (big, small, bold etc.).
  • Flexible GUI: availability of a completely distraction-free view that only shows the source and target segments (ideal for proofreading).
  • Ergonomics: no tiny buttons, input boxes or fonts in any dialogue box.
  • Simplicity: TMX files and tab-delimited glossaries can be used right away (no database configuration or import necessary).
  • Simplicity: multi-lingual glossaries and glossary items with source-side and target-side alternatives are just plain text files, no import or complicated set up needed.
  • Efficiency: easy insertion of any word of any resource (MT, web search, glossary, grid etc.) by dragging over it (if you like working with the mouse).
  • Efficiency: auto-completing that uses all resources (without any preparation needed).
  • Efficiency: smart Finding and Replacing (in multiple resources at the same time, e.g. project and TM, and with automatic case adaption (like in MS-Word)).
  • Efficiency: match repair in MT suggestions too.
  • Efficiency: very simple tag insertion (e.g. by dragging over words with the mouse)
  • Efficiency: override the target term that is used for auto-assembling once or for the remaining session.
  • Data security: masking of sensitive data, that is not sent to any MT system.

Perhaps not that innovative but rather basic:

• Transparent word count: no fancy categories that try to reduce the earnings of translators. On the fly updating of remaining words to be translated.
  • Generous license: not limited to 5 languages.
  • User-oriented development: developer participates in user forums and development is demand-driven.
  • Efficiency: small software package, fast installation, fast updating, portability (CT on a stick).
  • Speed: opening of 100 SDLXLIFF files, each containing 1000 words, doing a word replacement, setting the segment status to Translated and saving all files in seconds (instead of minutes).
  • Stability: rock-solid software, made of one piece. No negative effects of Windows updates. Very limited number of third-party components. Good integration of all components.

On a side note: Every now and then I read bad reviews of Java. In my opinion, the reported negative effects aren't related to Java itself but to the reviewed CAT tool. Java doesn't limit CafeTran's performance or stability in any way.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Time to ditch SDL Trados?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »