How should I handle a tag that already includes source language in Trados Studio?
Thread poster: Cheong Park
Cheong Park
Cheong Park  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 22:38
Member (2018)
English to Korean
Jan 16, 2019

Hi everyone,

Recently I'm working on a small work with trados studio, and there's a problem with handling a tag.

There is a tag which says "xr name="Heading" value="XXXXX"" in content, and it is shown as a completed tag(purple). Somehow I need to translate the "XXXXX" part in the tag. Will it be okay to enter the content of the tag (), with the only difference replacing the "XXXXX" part into the target language? I tried but it does not automatically changes in to the p
... See more
Hi everyone,

Recently I'm working on a small work with trados studio, and there's a problem with handling a tag.

There is a tag which says "xr name="Heading" value="XXXXX"" in content, and it is shown as a completed tag(purple). Somehow I need to translate the "XXXXX" part in the tag. Will it be okay to enter the content of the tag (), with the only difference replacing the "XXXXX" part into the target language? I tried but it does not automatically changes in to the purple tag form in Trados, so I am concerned.

Any small help will be very appreciated. Thank you!

[Edited at 2019-01-16 07:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-01-16 07:10 GMT]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:38
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Must be a mistake Jan 16, 2019

You could put the translation after the tag and inform the customer that they have to edit the target document accordingly.

Samuel Murray

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:38
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Chung Jan 16, 2019

Chung Park wrote:
There is a tag which says <xr name="Heading" value="XXXXX"/> in content, and it is shown as a completed tag(purple). Somehow I need to translate the "XXXXX" part in the tag.

Will it be okay to enter the content of the tag (<xr ... />), with the only difference replacing the "XXXXX" part into the target language?

No, don't do that. If you do that, it may be that the final translation will contain the tag that you typed in an escaped form, e.g. &lt;xr name="Heading" value="yourtranslation"/&gt; instead of <xr name="Heading" value="yourtranslation"/>, which will not help the client.

I agree with Heinrich that you should inform the client. The client forgot to customise the XML filter in Trados to make those values translatable, so the client would have to regenerate the Trados files, or someone will have to fix the final text afterwards (you, perhaps). You could (as Heinrich suggest), put the translation next to the tag (perhaps in square brackets, to make it clearer which text should be moved).

[Edited at 2019-01-16 07:15 GMT]

Cheong Park
South Korea
Member (2018)
English to Korean
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for fixing the tags! Jan 16, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:

There is a tag which says " in content, and it is shown as a completed tag(purple). Somehow I need to translate the "XXXXX" part in the tag. Will it be okay to enter the content of the tag (), with the only difference replacing the "XXXXX" part into the target language? I tried but it does not automatically changes in to the purple tag form in Trados, so I am concerned.

[Edited at 2019-01-16 07:08 GMT]

I did't even know how I should correct the tag to be shown, thanks!

Cheong Park
South Korea
Member (2018)
English to Korean
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the help! Jan 16, 2019

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

You could put the translation after the tag and inform the customer that they have to edit the target document accordingly.

Thanks for the comment, I guess your suggestion is the only option I've got related to this.

Amnon Shapira
Amnon Shapira  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 15:38
Member (2011)
English to Hebrew
Edit XML Jan 16, 2019

Hi Chung,
The solution I have used many times to deal with similar situation is as follows:
1. During translation take a note which segment need to be fixed
2. Once translation is done. Save Target As an XML file (this is the key factor if impossible don’t go on)
3. Open the XML file in a text editor (like Notepad++)
all your tags are shown as plain text
4. Search for the tags to be fixed and replace source text with your translation
5. Save the file a
... See more
Hi Chung,
The solution I have used many times to deal with similar situation is as follows:
2. Once translation is done. Save Target As an XML file (this is the key factor if impossible don’t go on)
4. Search for the tags to be fixed and replace source text with your translation
5. Save the file and deliver.
As said above this can only work if you can save your target as an XML file,
Good luck
Collapse

Cheong Park

Cheong Park
South Korea
Member (2018)
English to Korean
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the tip! Jan 17, 2019

Amnon Shapira wrote:

Hi Chung,
5. Save the file and deliver.
As said above this can only work if you can save your target as an XML file,
Good luck

Hi Amnon,
Thank you for your advice! Unfortunately I couldn't use this method this time but I'll save your advice as a future tip.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How should I handle a tag that already includes source language in Trados Studio?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »