Israel
Local time: 11:57
Member (2012)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Oct 14, 2018

Hi memoQ experts,
I've come across a challenge in one of my managed projects:

I received from my client approx 40 files for translation.

The repetition rate was quite high, which was great, but soon after assigning it to the translator, it turns out there was a challenge which I could not find an appropriate solution in memoQ, hence the translator had to work on Trados.

The challenge was how to auto-apply a change in a specific segment in the rest of
... See more
Hi memoQ experts,
I've come across a challenge in one of my managed projects:

I received from my client approx 40 files for translation.

The repetition rate was quite high, which was great, but soon after assigning it to the translator, it turns out there was a challenge which I could not find an appropriate solution in memoQ, hence the translator had to work on Trados.

The challenge was how to auto-apply a change in a specific segment in the rest of the exact matches located in the rest of the 39 files?

For example:

If the translator translated: "Click here for more details" and confirmed it but later on he wanted to change the translation to something else. How could we make sure that the changed translation will be applied into the rest of the files where Click here for more details appears?

It seems that this is an option which exists in Trados.

Thank you for your support

Omer
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:57
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Very simple! Oct 14, 2018

Create a view with all 40 files! Then either let the translator work on the view (assign the view only to him/her in the project if it is an online project), or send the translator a bilingual memoQ file of the view (and not the files).

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:57
Danish to English
+ ...
Easy Oct 14, 2018

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT wrote:

Create a view with all 40 files! Then either let the translator work on the view (assign the view only to him/her in the project if it is an online project), or send the translator a bilingual memoQ file of the view (and not the files).

For the uninitiated: select all files and right-click, then Create view, then Simply glue the documents together.

Then go to the View tab and open the view.

In the editor, open the Translation tab > Translation settings > Auto-propagation.

In that dialogue:

- Allow auto-propagation
- Propagate backward and forward
- Overwrite confirmed segments (e.g. if there are previous incorrect translations, but be careful with this option)
- Choose if you want the propagated segments to be confirmed automatically.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:57
English to French
Other option Oct 15, 2018

I think you may be able to do that without even creating a view:
select all files in the file list tab (Ctrl+A), then search/replace Ctrl+H.

Philippe

[Edited at 2018-10-15 08:15 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Applying auto change in multiple files

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »