Local time: 11:08
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Show you are payable Sep 23, 2018

Tom in London wrote:

I'm wondering what it means for me to be "payable to prospective clients"

?

Hi Tom and Germaine,

It might be difficult for LSPs or direct clients in some locations to pay professionals in some other countries. Confirming payability gives the outsourcer a signal that payment will not be an additional hassle if this candidate is chosen for the work.

Mike

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:08
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I think you mean Sep 23, 2018

Mike Donlin wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

I'm wondering what it means for me to be "payable to prospective clients"

?

Hi Tom and Germaine,

It might be difficult for LSPs or direct clients in some locations to pay professionals in some other countries. Confirming payability gives the outsourcer a signal that payment will not be an additional hassle if this candidate is chosen for the work.

Mike

Mike, I *think* you mean "show prospective clients that I can receive payments via ProzPay". If that's right I hope it can be made clearer.

Arabic & More

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Agree with Tom Sep 24, 2018

When you specify that some members are "payable" (without explaining what that means), it implies that others are *not* payable. I am still "payable," even if I elect not to use ProzPay.

Tom in London
Mirko Mainardi
Katalin Szilárd
P.L.F. Persio
Yvonne Gallagher
Andy Watkinson
Josephine Cassar

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:08
English to Italian
Leitmotif Sep 24, 2018

Amel Abdullah wrote:

When you specify that some members are "payable" (without explaining what that means), it implies that others are *not* payable. I am still "payable," even if I elect not to use ProzPay.

That seems to have become a common trend... There are those who are "safer" to work with because they have a "securepro" thingie, those who are "more members" than others because they are "plus", those who are "more specialized" than others because they only declared one working pair/field, those who are "more translators" than others because they religiously tell the world what they're working on at any given moment, etc. etc.

When someone raises concerns like yours, they are usually ignored or hastily dismissed by saying that nobody is forcing you to do anything and that it's entirely up to you to accept or not (to fall in line). Fingers, moons. Rinse and repeat. Just another day on proz.

[Edited at 2018-09-24 08:05 GMT]

Dmytro Nehrii
P.L.F. Persio
Yvonne Gallagher
Katalin Horváth McClure

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Objectives of ProZ*Pay Sep 24, 2018

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback and questions. Sorry for the confusing information on fees.

This is our second time offering a payment service. (The first was about 15 years ago, and the service was well received, but it was too much hassle for us as a small team at that time.) Over the last few months, we have confirmed that in partnership with several payment/banking partners, we are able to offer a service that is more convenient for the payer, and that enables freel
... See more
Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback and questions. Sorry for the confusing information on fees.

This is our second time offering a payment service. (The first was about 15 years ago, and the service was well received, but it was too much hassle for us as a small team at that time.) Over the last few months, we have confirmed that in partnership with several payment/banking partners, we are able to offer a service that is more convenient for the payer, and that enables freelancers to keep more of their money, when compared to Paypal and others. Sometimes quite a bit is saved.

In short, we want our members to be able to say -- as the freelancer quoted in the newsletter said -- "I saved on the conversion rate as well as the bank cost". That is our goal.

Plus there are other benefits, which the page mentions.

As a side note, I think that there is a reasonable chance that we are going to be able to reduce the period of time it takes for freelancer translators and interpreters to get paid. Not just through ProZ*Pay, but in the industry in general. I'm not going to get into how I envision that happening, because it will take a little time to roll things out, but for the record, it is an objective.
Collapse

Evgeny Demin

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 12:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
Currency conversion Sep 24, 2018

I tried to update my payment preferences to Proz Pay, but I had to stop because the payment methods offered are Paypal, which is ok, and bank transfer in Uruguayan pesos, but not in USD.

I usually get paid via paypal or bank transfer in USD with no cuurency conversion to UYU pesos at all. Why should I convert the USD to UYU $ in this case? Can that be updated so that I can choose to receive UYO pesos or USD?

Mike Donlin
Mike Donlin
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Payable by ProZ Pay Sep 24, 2018

Amel Abdullah wrote:

Tom, Amel and Mirko - I am taking note of your comments and making adjustments to how it is mentioned.

Thanks for the feedback. It is helpful.

Mike

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 23:08
Chinese to English
+ ...
The people who I can see really benefitting from this Sep 24, 2018

...are young translators new to the industry who have no idea how to get paid otherwise. It's an easy answer that will babysit them through much of the process.

Those of you who are established professionals who already know how to invoice likely have no use for this, which doesn't trouble me at all.

Trevor Cook
Trevor Cook  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:08
Chinese to English
+ ...
Interesting Idea -- More Information Please Sep 24, 2018

I was interested in looking more into this, but the pages with information about it are very sparse, and I found no simple schedule of fees--basically the first thing I want to look at to evaluate whether I'll look further into the service and get an account.

Where can I access a simple schedule of fees? If one exists, would you please make it more accessible?

Walter Landesman
Alessandra Sandrin
Randy Wong

Mike Donlin
Mike Donlin
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
USD to Uruguay Sep 24, 2018

Walter Landesman wrote:

I usually get paid via paypal or bank transfer in USD with no cuurency conversion to UYU pesos at all. Why should I convert the USD to UYU $ in this case? Can that be updated so that I can choose to receive UYO pesos or USD?

Hi Walter,

We will continue this conversation outside of the forum post (and then I can try to update everyone). I am pleased to hear this kind of questions so that we can try to adapt to what works best for you.

Mike

Walter Landesman

Mike Donlin
Mike Donlin
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Financial fees transparency Sep 24, 2018

Trevor Cook wrote:

I was interested in looking more into this, but the pages with information about it are very sparse, and I found no simple schedule of fees--basically the first thing I want to look at to evaluate whether I'll look further into the service and get an account.

Where can I access a simple schedule of fees? If one exists, would you please make it more accessible?

Hi Trevor,

We are dedicated to making the service work on behalf of ProZ.com members.

It can be difficult for any financial partner to get a schedule of fees, or full transparency to answer some of these financial questions. During the approval process, any fees will be as transparent as possible, especially if you are initiating the process.

Each transaction may be different depending on who pays the fees and where the payment is going. For instance, we have taken payments from an LSP in India and paid freelancers in Turkey - adding convenience and getting more in the translator's account. It often requires finding out the best service to make this work. As José Henrique Lamensdorf pointed out, this can be different based on each transaction based on the amount of money to be received.

I will reach out directly to discuss the fees for you, or your business.

Mike

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Transferwise Sep 25, 2018

Mike Donlin wrote:

I am pleased to hear this kind of questions so that we can try to adapt to what works best for you.

Henry Dotterer wrote:

In short, we want our members to be able to say -- as the freelancer quoted in the newsletter said -- "I saved on the conversion rate as well as the bank cost". That is our goal.

What about Transferwise then? It has already been mentioned by me and others in this thread, and if your goal is as per quote above, then, at the moment, that seems the best choice (for both conversion and transaction fees).

Thomas T. Frost
Daryo

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Transferwise Sep 25, 2018

Mirko Mainardi wrote:
What about Transferwise then? It has already been mentioned by me and others in this thread, and if your goal is as per quote above, then, at the moment, that seems the best choice (for both conversion and transaction fees).

That is one of the companies we have (and will continue) considering for transactions where they offer the most competitive solution.

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Some examples will be fine. Sep 25, 2018

Hi Mike,
I think instead of thousands words, it would be better to share 3-4 example screenshots here.

Could you please select 4 freelancers here and send them test payments in their local currencies?

2 of them will be paid from bank account into PayPal account
2 of them will be paid from PayPal account into bank account.

And screenshots from all transactions can be shared here (by anonymizing or hiding the personal details except names).
... See more
Hi Mike,
I think instead of thousands words, it would be better to share 3-4 example screenshots here.

Could you please select 4 freelancers here and send them test payments in their local currencies?

2 of them will be paid from bank account into PayPal account
2 of them will be paid from PayPal account into bank account.

And screenshots from all transactions can be shared here (by anonymizing or hiding the personal details except names).

Is it possible to test this feature with 4 freelancers from different countries?

Regards,

M. Ali
Collapse

Iryna Khramchenko

Ivana Kahle
Ivana Kahle  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
German to Croatian
+ ...
Who is stated as payer in bank account papers? Sep 25, 2018

Hello,
let's say I receive a payment via Proz Pay. Who will be stated as payer in the bank account papers which I have to hand over to my accountant? ProZ? My client? Someone else?
Can someone show an example, please?
It would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Iryna Khramchenko

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ Pay™: A new way for freelancers to get paid

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »